Aftermarket or alternative for fuel pump

jbammon68

Experiencing some poostration. 06 FST 2700 miles, needs a fuel pump. This is the second 06 FST I know of that has had a fuel pump go out this year.

No dealer seems to have one in stock. Cannot find an after market. Poo says they are having supplier issues, and the earliest it will ship is Feb 25.

Cannot use a newer pump, completely different design in 07. Here we are prime sledding season and cannot get something as simple as a fuel pump.

Any one have ideas?

heckler56

I have a Mikuni fuel pump gathering dust. I bought it for a 92 Indy Trail Dlx, but it was not a fit (it was suppose too). The pump is brand new and has no numbers on it. The original Mikuni box has the following numbers:

Lemans P/N DF52
Mac P/N DF52-176

If you think this can work let me know.

booondocker

Experiencing some poostration. 06 FST 2700 miles, needs a fuel pump. This is the second 06 FST I know of that has had a fuel pump go out this year.

No dealer seems to have one in stock. Cannot find an after market. Poo says they are having supplier issues, and the earliest it will ship is Feb 25.

Cannot use a newer pump, completely different design in 07. Here we are prime sledding season and cannot get something as simple as a fuel pump.

Any one have ideas?

There are some cross references you can use.

Go to www.Polarisfiles.com and find Polaris FST section, and study the threads there. You will find other cross applications that will fit that motor.

raceinsnow

Is pump bad or are the fuel lines in the tank rotted and broke?Some of these had some problems with the fuel eating the fuel lines in the tank and these can be replace with out replacing the whole pump assy.

jbammon68

Should have shared more info, Fuel lines were broken in two spots and cracked in another, already replaced fuel lines, have not done fuel filter yet but doing that today.

Poo dealer put on digital wrench after fuel lines replaced, code showing lean condition. Dealer mech says he can hear the fuel pump whine.

Symptoms before fuel line replaced were that sled would run bad at half tank gas, fill up and fine.

Now sled will not go over 30mph, seems to be fuel starved.

Are you getting any boost? Dealer put new wire harness on my 07 FST and didn't attach the boot to the throttle body causing no turbo boost. My sled did the same as you are saying yours is doing. We attached the boot and away it went. You have to pull seat and tank to see.

jbammon68

I do have boost. This has been somewhat intermittent, and continues to get worse. Before the hoses were fixed I could remedy by keeping the gas tank full. Now its happening on a full tank and continues to get worse.

motor_slut

Which lines did you replace in the pump system? I have seen two lines pop off on the pressurized side of the pump. They never fully came off so it it just ran out of pressure and caused a lean condition. We simply recrimped the line and it was fine. I would pull your fuel pump pickup out of the tank and inspect it.

booondocker

Since you are pulling the fuel pump anyway, straighten out the sending unit arm so that the fuel gauge is more accurate.

Most of these in the tank fuel pumps CAN have the pump part only replaced with a cheap ebay pump with a decent retro-fitting using hose clamps and a bit of solder.

Pump is a pump...as long as it puts out the right pump pressure.

I just bought one for $25 including postage.

jbammon68

Definitely not the lines those have been replaced/inspected. Polaris has the full fuel assembly available, but will not pull one apart to provide just the fuel pump. I should also note the dealer pointed out how loud and the whine noise that the fuel pump makes, you can hear it over the engine at idle.

Already did the sending unit arm, thanks!

I believe its putting out 30 psi, but not certain, Don't have a tech manual.

Last edited: