AL Cam not updating?

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the same problem. I've tried turning my puter off, and refreshing about a dozen times too. LOL.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It's on my end. Ever since one of the wonderful Microsoft "updates", the driver for the camera does not work so well and crashes the computer the cam is on. Since that is my main machine, I will leave things off when I am working on important things as I do not want the machine to suddenly crash while I am working on something. I have tried updating the driver and it does not work. So I bought a new camera last week, but have not been able to get it going yet. I hope to after the ride in (or possibly this week if I get a chance). So until then, it is going to be kind of hit and miss.

Not a lot to see new. About 4" of snow on it (we picked up about 5-6" out of this latest event).

My apologies, hang in there, it will get going regularly soon.

-John

blizzardmk

No problem.

Your hard work is appreciated. Your cam is the best live source for snowfall information in the northern keweenaw.

frnash

NetCam? (IP Cam?)

Just looking at the assortment of web cams, A.L.Cam, Trail Cam, Northwoods Cam Network, Bridge Cam, etc. it seems that keeping a web cam up and operational is far more of a hassle than it should be.

John, I understand your frustration with the MS update, (don'tcha just love that!) but other than that, what are the primary problems that folks have with keeping their web cams up and running? My hunch would be that the major source of problems is primarily the computer it's connected to.

What about using a NetCam (IP CAM), that has its own IP address, and connects directly to the net and can be monitored and/or controlled from anywhere in the world? Would such a configuration be more reliable?

Does anyone here have any relevant experience?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
The trail cam and a few other cams on the site are Netcams. They work great, but are not cheap.

I would probably have the new cam in place already, except for the fact that I have to work outside for much of the retrofit and am pre-occupied with Ride-In things.

-John

Chicago Boy

Buy a Mac you'll have no more updates and no more viruses:)
The trail cam and a few other cams on the site are Netcams. They work great, but are not cheap.

I would probably have the new cam in place already, except for the fact that I have to work outside for much of the retrofit and am pre-occupied with Ride-In things.

-John