Alger County SORVA - Please Donate

snocrazy

There has been a lot of work going in to the trail system around here since the snow melted.
More details on specifics to be posted soon on the Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/AlgerCountySorva/
New Trail 8 parallel trail, Miners Castle re-route so no more riding H-58, Frog Hollow improvements, Doty Bridge Replacement, lots of other area improvements. You are all in non snowmobile mode but we are full steam ahead with many projects. All for you!

Here is a fundraiser we are currently working on. Please consider making a donation.

Alger County SORVA your local Snowmobile and ORV trail Grant Sponsors
NEEDS YOUR HELP
Since 2006 we have been maintaining and improving the local ORV trail system. For nearly 2 years now we have stepped up with also managing the snowmobile trail system. The snowmobile side has seen some great improvements and our club has been recognized as being one of the best in the country. We pride ourselves in doing what is right for the overall community and recreational snowmobile and ORV riders from near and far away. This directly benefits the local economy year-round by drawing more visitors to our area who come here to ride our trail system.
We have an opportunity to not only make the trails better and safer for snowmobile riding and grooming, but to make significant improvements on the ORV side at the same time.
Problem statement –
Trails have excessive dirt moguls / bumps all across our trail system. This is mainly due to increased ORV traffic in the area. Corners are banked with what we refer to as “NASCAR Banking”. We have very limited funds that allow us to have this corrected. Currently our only option is to hire contractors which charge extensive amounts of money to perform such grading services. Grant dollars are also very limited when it comes to these kinds of services which does not allow us to address very much of the trail system that we maintain.
Proposed Solution –
Extensive research has been conducted to find a piece of equipment that the club can purchase and perform the needed grading / leveling that our trail system so desperately needs. This not only corrects the problem right now but also allows us to maintain them well in to the future. Regular maintenance will keep the trails safe for Snowmobilers as well as ORV. It will also make snow grooming operations more efficient and much less abusive on the equipment making it last longer.
The piece of equipment is manufactured by DoMor equipment.
HA-120 (Hydraulically Adjustable – 10 feet wide) http://www.domorequipment.com/ha-series-grader
This is the only manufacturer which we have found which will offer a Warranty as well as offer a 30 day money back guarantee. They are offering to give us a 10% discount because they want to help our cause and us being a nonprofit 501c3 nonprofit organization.
The amount we need to raise so that we can purchase = $10,000.00
Please consider donating what you can to help. Remember we are a 501c3 and donations are tax deductible. Whether you are a rider of the trail system, or a business owner who benefits from the added business the trail system brings you.
Donations can be Mailed to:
SORVA of Alger County,1021 Foster St., Munising, Mi 49862 - Make Check Payable to “SORVA of Alger County”

You can also donate online using PAYPAL
paypal@algersorva.com
Add a Note = GRADER

old abe

Good luck with running ORV/ATV/UTV on snowmobile trails. Rail grades yes, snowmobile trails no. Seen this picture before, and it's a bottomless pit to throw money at.

HIGHLANDER

eh, who cares... i ride arctic cat. i do ride with a few guys who have ski doos and polaris... worth the investment to not hear them wine, throw'n in a few bucks for sure!!!

whitedust

Good luck with running ORV/ATV/UTV on snowmobile trails. Rail grades yes, snowmobile trails no. Seen this picture before, and it's a bottomless pit to throw money at.

I took a ride in side by side Polaris Saturday and holy moly those tires are aggressive tore up end on my driveway and he would not ride over my lawn back to road said it would tear up my lawn. Thank goodness he didn't...lol... Idk much about ATVs or types of tires but this side by side on any bare or vegetation trail surface would be destroyed by one passing. From what I saw trail leveling would be useless on a snomo trail just like Old Abe posted. Please correct me if I'm wrong?... but dirt trail leveling seemed useless unless pavement or gravel surface.

snocrazy

I took a ride in side by side Polaris Saturday and holy moly those tires are aggressive tore up end on my driveway and he would not ride over my lawn back to road said it would tear up my lawn. Thank goodness he didn't...lol... Idk much about ATVs or types of tires but this side by side on any bare or vegetation trail surface would be destroyed by one passing. From what I saw trail leveling would be useless on a snomo trail just like Old Abe posted. Please correct me if I'm wrong?... but dirt trail leveling seemed useless unless pavement or gravel surface.

Its not a one and done deal. It is part of the regular needed maintenance. If you saw how many side by sides are up here riding all the snowmobile trails..... 3 and 4 foot birms in the corners. Mega wash boards and moguls. We need to at least be grading in Fall before winter. It takes soooo much snow to fill this all in. With the trend of melt downs we cant keep it covered with snow. Need a good base to start with.

Here is an example if how this works... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuIPEkH-O2c
www.dungood.com - they have proven it works.

Remember most our trails up here are multi use on public lands. We cant close off the trails in the summers.

snocrazy

What is your personal experience with grading or maintaining multi use trails to justify such a comment? What club are you a part of?
I do not understand how you could state what you have if you have been involved and helping the cause.

This is not only about having smooth trails for riding but preserving the snow grooming equipment.
So when the groomer drag is broken and trails are not getting groomed I am sure you would one to complain in a second.
Why make change to better the environment for all of us.... lol

whitedust

Its not a one and done deal. It is part of the regular needed maintenance. If you saw how many side by sides are up here riding all the snowmobile trails..... 3 and 4 foot birms in the corners. Mega wash boards and moguls. We need to at least be grading in Fall before winter. It takes soooo much snow to fill this all in. With the trend of melt downs we cant keep it covered with snow. Need a good base to start with.

Here is an example if how this works... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuIPEkH-O2c
www.dungood.com - they have proven it works.

Remember most our trails up here are multi use on public lands. We cant close off the trails in the summers.

Oh yeah I believe ya lots of side by sides showing up here too in Vilas but banned from snomo trail use mostly shared paved road use with cars here. Totally agree trail leveling will be a frequent task for sure. Munising is a very beautiful area super nice by the lake right now. Let us know how the trail leveling works out can't see ATV use without it just be trashed with traffic.

old abe

Landlord was the snomo club trail boss in northern Wis. when they tried this 15 years ago. Just like you said, "nascar banking"!!! And, like WD said, ORV not allowed on snomo trails. Rail grades, roads okay. I've seen how the trails do around other ORV trail areas also. We no longer go to these areas to ride due to as you said, bad trails. Good luck to you and your efforts, and it will be endless work, time, and $$$. I don't know how you will ever get the dirt/sand or what ever to set up, and settle in a good way prior to the frost/freeze, and snow season grooming. My landlord is a excavating contractor by trade, and has his own equipment. Once again good luck to you folks.

Last edited:

snocrazy

Munising Area Visitors Bureau donated all of the $ 10k and we are grading. Huge improvement already!
Trails are going to be nice this winter. Even with the melt downs and early season conditions.
If you saw how bad the dirt moguls were, you would wonder how we ever got them flat in winter.

old abe

I really admire your effort and mind set snocrazy. Wish you all the best results for your commitment to fix what had turned into very bad trail condition/situation. You guys have really proved yourselves in just the last few years!!! Go for it!!! Also I'm impressed very much so by the visitors bureau stepping up in a very, very big way! This is exactly what it takes to bring those who like us, had left the area because of always finding unbearably bad trail conditions back to ride your area. You will be well rewarded.

megan600

I totally missed the initial post asking for donations...boating, as well as a new assignment at work has left my online surfing too sporadic. I was just getting ready to hit up paypal to make a donation when I seen the comment saying Munising Visitors Bureau funded this... WOW. Great job to them! Much appreciated! Just sent my parents on a vacation to Munising in June. They of course loved it...and now that I know this bit of info, I'm even more happy we sent them there this year. THANKS!!!!

T

Tracker

Munising Area Visitors Bureau donated all of the $ 10k and we are grading. Huge improvement already!
Trails are going to be nice this winter. Even with the melt downs and early season conditions.
If you saw how bad the dirt moguls were, you would wonder how we ever got them flat in winter.

they key is this...and where I suggested it now does it every year as it works fantastic....better than you will imagine....you do that mud grooming right before snow and its still soft just after the trails close for atvs and what not...way easier to groom in winter and less sandy spots too...less icy puddles and corners....moguls take way longer to build up....I think they do it during hunting season but I can ask the president of club guys which is the best time thye have found to do it at...let me know