All Things Christmas

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's the place to post just about anything related to Christmas. It might be your best memory as a child or a simple greeting to the friends on John Dee.com Let's keep in mind why we celebrate Christmas and before I forget, we say "Merry Christmas" at our house!

Personally, I've had some highs and lows during the holiday season. One of the more memorable was the year that Dad bought the first family snowmobile. He had it delivered on Christmas Eve and me and my brother rode it around and around in circles in the yard with a barking dog chasing us all the way. I bet the neighbors never forgot that one, I know I haven't.
Christmas Past.jpg

wiscrev

Lots of good ones. When I was 5, I got a Donald Duck bike! I thought the world would never end, lol.

Hoosier

We got an 84 Bravo brand new for Christmas. Still have a picture of my 3 brothers and I all sitting on our around it, in t shirts and shorts, as that Christmas was so warm. Here's for hoping this winter is just a bad start!

euphoric1

Many fond memories, Getting up at 2 a.m. which ended up as we found out as we grew older was right about the time Santa (wink,wink) got done putting our presents out. I don't remember the year but got a "Green Machine"...I was the coolest kid on the block! and it was warm enough that year I was able to ride it that day! I also remember helping mom with the cookies, I ended up enjoying baking and to this day still make all the old school cookies we would make, brings back tons of memories and the final fondest memory I have of Santa was when my brother, sister and I were playing hide and seek and I found where Santa hid the presents before Christmas LOL. I will also say how cool it was to wake up and see the mounds of presents Santa brought, but it was even more gratifying was later in life and being Santa and trying to keep the belief going as long as you possibly could. I know I got a little off subject here but Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year and I try very hard to keep it "traditional" One last memory... On my dads side of the family we used to sing Christmas songs as a family and when it came to the 12 days of Christmas my grandpa always did "5 golden rings" and it was in this deep thunderous voice that I will never forget, and at his burial when the priest asked if anyone would like to say anything... I belted out "5 golden rings" in the deepest voice I could. Again I apologize for rambling on. Merry Christmas to all of you!

hermie

Euphoric 1 you hit the nail rite on the head. No doubt all the cool gifts you got as a kid but as I get older the thing I appreciate the most is the memories with my family and friends. Christmas takes in a different meaning as you get older and love ones pass to the other side. You think about them a little more this time of year wishing they were still here and remembering the good times with them. We have a grandson now and it's so much fun just seeing the excitement in his eyes as it getting closer for Santa to come. Now if we could just get some snow for a white Christmas.

bayfly

Many fond memories, Getting up at 2 a.m. which ended up as we found out as we grew older was right about the time Santa (wink,wink) got done putting our presents out. I don't remember the year but got a "Green Machine"...I was the coolest kid on the block! and it was warm enough that year I was able to ride it that day! I also remember helping mom with the cookies, I ended up enjoying baking and to this day still make all the old school cookies we would make, brings back tons of memories and the final fondest memory I have of Santa was when my brother, sister and I were playing hide and seek and I found where Santa hid the presents before Christmas LOL. I will also say how cool it was to wake up and see the mounds of presents Santa brought, but it was even more gratifying was later in life and being Santa and trying to keep the belief going as long as you possibly could. I know I got a little off subject here but Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year and I try very hard to keep it "traditional" One last memory... On my dads side of the family we used to sing Christmas songs as a family and when it came to the 12 days of Christmas my grandpa always did "5 golden rings" and it was in this deep thunderous voice that I will never forget, and at his burial when the priest asked if anyone would like to say anything... I belted out "5 golden rings" in the deepest voice I could. Again I apologize for rambling on. Merry Christmas to all of you!
Brian,

The 2 a.m. comment reminded me of one of the traditions we had as a kid that I vowed would not happen when I became a parent. Our folks would leave our tree undecorated until us kids went to bed. So our parents would decorate our tree and put out all the gifts after we were asleep. One problem with that was we attended midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. To make matters worse, we went to my grandparents after Mass for homemade sausage and eggs. The whole process required us kids to fall asleep twice, once before church and then again after the early breakfast. It’s hard enough to fall asleep once on Christmas, much less twice! And I don’t think my folks slept more than an hour or two, since we were always up by 5 a.m. As grandparents now, we still get to enjoy many of the traditions we had as kids, but not all!

wiscrev

As a pastor, I have always said we should celebrate the birth and leave the giving for Epiphany, Jan 6th as that is what many European countries do. On another note, the NFL has a game on Christmas Eve-----Despicable and shame on them! Just another way to take Christ out of Christmas.
If this is against forum decorum, I apologize. After all, too many people get offended over remarks like this.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
As the O.P. I felt compelled to respond with two thoughts; Welcome back, jr37. It's been a long time, and we look forward to hearing from you. As I recall you are one of the Vintage Scorpion guys!

As for rev, no need to apologize. Your contributions to the sport are well recognized. If we need a reminder here and there, well that's your wheelhouse, you've earned some latitude.

We're all aware of the commercialization of the holidays and that horse has left the barn. I think our grandparents would be stunned to see Christmas of 2023. My point was Christmas is such a huge event for kids and has been for generations. Memories made decades ago are still vivid to many adults. Not just the gifts but the traditions, Midnight Mass, going to Grandma's, the meals and the memories. If anything, Christmas still brings family's together for one night out of the year to celebrate and to worship. The best part of all, we get to choose how we celebrate and worship. You get to decide.

Let's have a Merry Christmas however you choose to celebrate!​

warner

As a Kid my Dad would take us to the Village fire department, he was a member and had a key, anyway, he would take my sister , brother and me to climb around on the trucks and smell them, ya fire trucks have a smell....then magically when we got home several hours later the presents were there...gosh those are good memories. This may have started my brothers interest in owning one, as several years ago he and I bought a Oshkosh 6x6 airport firetruck.....just cuz. we drove that thing around with a full water tank and the water guns a blazing, damn that thing was fun. We sold it several years later, maintenance on a firetruck is pricey !

matti

My favorite memory as a kid is visiting my relatives in Barron, WI for a few days around Christmas. They had those mini-boxes of sugary cereals (the kind we never had at home!) and I was in heaven!