aluminum polish recommendations

euphoric1

Customer came by my shop other day with what looked like new aluminum sled trailer, and when you touched the aluminum felt like it was sealed. Well wasn't a new trailer said he used a product called white diamond, started with polish and the finest scotch brite pad he could find then just polish and a rag. looked really nice and as I said felt like it had a sealer on it. I looked the product up and says it has a long lasting sealant, does anyone have any recommendations? my 17 ElTigre has painted tunnel but have been wanting to clean the tunnel on my wifes 09 F8, preferably a polish and not a acid based cleaner. Not afraid of a little elbow grease but something that works and cleans very well as there are so many out there.

buddah2

I used mothers aluminum polish on the exhaust tips on my RX-1 back when it was brand new...lots of elbow grease but they ended up looking like they were chromed...and lasted until I sold the sled some 10 odd yrs later...I planned on doing the tunnel too but being inherently lazy, I never got around to it...

sweeperguy

I use white diamond. Like it, doesn't seem to take as much elbow grease to polish. But that could be because of sealant, and using at least once a year.
Not very good pic of tunnel after polish.

16035519923394812863247810537472.jpg 20160804_214157_zpsp6c5una9.jpg

chunk06

I was also recommended White Diamond from some truckers that detail their trucks nice, I just do not have the patience for that kind of work. There was someone advertising snowmobile trailer detailing/polishing on some Facebook groups this fall, I think he was from the Fox valley area. His work looked great in pics and prices were reasonable IMO. I wish he was closer. He was travelling a little too.

heckler56

Flitz. I bought a quart at a snowmobile show many years ago. It is basically a lifetime supply. The US distributor is located by the OP.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also bought a lifetime supply at one of the shows. Sledbrite Cleaner & Polish. Haven't used it in years as I no longer have an aluminum tunnel. It's a two step process, spray on the cleaner, rinse off, add polish and then rub the surface until your arms fall off. I've seen some very nice results but I was never able to duplicate the showroom stuff that is out there. Some of the vintage stuff that Skiroule has turned out is outstanding.

2555e7af-bb4b-4e23-80f5-a9519cb24099_1.af715614dabdfa9285939e9d0790b079.jpeg

Aluminum Polish.jpg

Interceptor

I have tried them all. Hands down best for me is Sharkhide metal polish. I follow up with Sharkhide metal protectant, following the directions exactly, to seal the metal for a long lasting shine.

mrbb

the best polish I ever seen was this stuff,[FONT=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Simichrome Metal Polish![/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]we used it on parts costing almost a hundred grand each at my old job, and they tested countless other things before determining it was the best[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] But its rather costly to use on large things, but it sure makes things shine !

all comes down to your budget and what goal you maybe have set of things!

it will take Matte finish metal's to a mirror look !

[/FONT]

goofy600

Customer came by my shop other day with what looked like new aluminum sled trailer, and when you touched the aluminum felt like it was sealed. Well wasn't a new trailer said he used a product called white diamond, started with polish and the finest scotch brite pad he could find then just polish and a rag. looked really nice and as I said felt like it had a sealer on it. I looked the product up and says it has a long lasting sealant, does anyone have any recommendations? my 17 ElTigre has painted tunnel but have been wanting to clean the tunnel on my wifes 09 F8, preferably a polish and not a acid based cleaner. Not afraid of a little elbow grease but something that works and cleans very well as there are so many out there.

Brian just buy her a new sled and be done with it, it’s 12 years old now. :)

chunk06

the best polish I ever seen was this stuff,[FONT=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Simichrome Metal Polish![/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]we used it on parts costing almost a hundred grand each at my old job, and they tested countless other things before determining it was the best[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] But its rather costly to use on large things, but it sure makes things shine !

all comes down to your budget and what goal you maybe have set of things!

it will take Matte finish metal's to a mirror look !

[/FONT]

I have never heard of that stuff, Made In Germany. It gets great reviews, i might order some. Every time I have a sled with a raw tunnel I tell myself it will be the last.

euphoric1

Brian just buy her a new sled and be done with it, it’s 12 years old now. :)

Ill make sure my wife doesn't see your response :sneakiness: thanks goofy600! How's things in the U.P.?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to all who replied! found some white diamond at Walmart, having seen and felt the end result I am going to give this product a try first, not savy enough to post pics but will let post end results. Thanks again to all!!

Last edited:

goofy600

Ill make sure my wife doesn't see your response :sneakiness: thanks goofy600! How's things in the U.P.?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to all who replied! found some white diamond at Walmart, having seen and felt the end result I am going to give this product a try first, not savy enough to post pics but will let post end results. Thanks again to all!!

Things would be great if I could get all the snow off the roof and have it thaw out for a few days to get a roof on an addition that just got framed out. It snowed 8 days then woke up to 10 degrees out this morning. But it going to warm up for a few day so hopefully will thaw out enough. And I say a lot less work just to buy her a new one:)