Aluminum trailer care

euphoric1

although aluminum is impervious to rust, it is still open to corrosion not to mention a steel axle being bolted to it. This weekend I picked up my new Catalyst and once back to the shop I noticed a tilt to my rear left wheel on my trailer which is an inline enclosed steel framed trailer. it is from 2007 and years of parking it behind shop in the grass (which probably was not a good idea) finally took its toll. the rear axle had broke in half, tore the front of the axle mount from frame, twisted the rear, while under there noticed the front r/h axle mount is also separating from the frame and the bottom of that torsion axle is also split wide open and rotted as well. luckily I made it home without a trailer disaster on the interstate. Im going to retire the trailer for storage here and buy an aluminum trailer, I have had them in the past but my question is, does anyone spray the underside of frame with any kind of metal protector? and if so what do you use or have luck with?

swampcat

Old farmer taught me to smear grease with a old glove EVERYWHERE. Also I spray trans fluid into nooks and crannies. As far as the frame to axle, or any other steel to aluminum joint, make sure there is some type of isolator. My buddy makes me these shims, if you will, about .125 thick out of HDPE plastic, then I cut to fit as needed. Best of luck with your new toys.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope you bought a lottery ticket because that was your lucky day for making it home with a trailer as you describe.

I've tried a couple of different things except for the grease which sounds like a Holy Mess. I try to wash mine regularly after use in the salt. Definitely at the end of the season. Once cleaned with pressure washer I spray the underside with liquid wax. Hitting the areas of axle and where the steel meets the aluminum. Salt and Age are the worst enemies of trailers in my opinion. We can't do much about aging but by keeping them as clean as possible helps.

You got 16 years out of your old trailer, that's pretty good but that New Cat deserves a new trailer, make it happen!

A postscript regarding trailers, last year about this time I got the idea of checking out my trailer, lights, wiring, hitch, etc. By chance I put a wrench on one of the lug nuts and I got a full 360 before it snugged. I went to the next one, same thing. Every lug nut on my trailer was loose by a complete turn, if not more. Is it time to check yours?

indy_500

Like mentioned, preseason and postseason I take a latex glove and smear marine grease all over the axles and all around the mount area where the axle meets the frame, then spray fluid film in the nooks and crannies and all over the leafs/hardware/brakes. I take my trailer to a manual car wash after every use, and I also 2-3 good underside cleanings with a pressure washer before storing for the summer. And yes, keeping them away from moist ground for summer storage is key. Might seem a bit overboard, but for how much these things cost, and the terrible conditions we pull them thru, my mind seems it necessary

Last edited:

dfattack

I hope you bought a lottery ticket because that was your lucky day for making it home with a trailer as you describe.

I've tried a couple of different things except for the grease which sounds like a Holy Mess. I try to wash mine regularly after use in the salt. Definitely at the end of the season. Once cleaned with pressure washer I spray the underside with liquid wax. Hitting the areas of axle and where the steel meets the aluminum. Salt and Age are the worst enemies of trailers in my opinion. We can't do much about aging but by keeping them as clean as possible helps.

You got 16 years out of your old trailer, that's pretty good but that New Cat deserves a new trailer, make it happen!

A postscript regarding trailers, last year about this time I got the idea of checking out my trailer, lights, wiring, hitch, etc. By chance I put a wrench on one of the lug nuts and I got a full 360 before it snugged. I went to the next one, same thing. Every lug nut on my trailer was loose by a complete turn, if not more. Is it time to check yours?
Gary are you using a torque wrench and torquing them to the required amount?

mezz

Like Gary said, you were awfully lucky to get that home without a serious mishap. Glad it all worked out for a safe trip. Keeping the trailer clean is the key that's for sure, not to mention parked out of the grass.

euphoric1

Old farmer taught me to smear grease with a old glove EVERYWHERE. Also I spray trans fluid into nooks and crannies. As far as the frame to axle, or any other steel to aluminum joint, make sure there is some type of isolator. My buddy makes me these shims, if you will, about .125 thick out of HDPE plastic, then I cut to fit as needed. Best of luck with your new toys.
I am going to check for that insulator between axle and frame as dislike metals don't always mix, buddy of mine found thot out with a Triton trailer, interesting that you add a spacer and thank you for the information, I do like the marine grease idea, I don't know if its available anymore but knew there were products like "fluid film" or "LP3" at one time. Thank you!

euphoric1

Like mentioned, preseason and postseason I take a latex glove and smear marine grease all over the axles and all around the mount area where the axle meets the frame, then spray fluid film in the nooks and crannies and all over the leafs/hardware/brakes. I take my trailer to a manual car wash after every use, and I also 2-3 good underside cleanings with a pressure washer before storing for the summer. And yes, keeping them away from moist ground for summer storage is key. Might seem a bit overboard, but for how much these things cost, and the terrible conditions we pull them thru, my mind seems it necessary
never a bit overboard and yes was not a good decision to park in back 40 and my fault for doing so and not inspecting and as Gary said I should buy a lotto ticket as i think the only thing keeping it from completely separating is the internal spring. Thank you for the input! Much appreciated!!

indy_500

Also figured I’d mention, I used to own a 7x23 stealth. After 3 hard years of use by the previous owner, I did a complete overhaul, took the axles off and did new bearings brakes leafs hardware etc por 15’ed the axles etc. after just 3 years the frame where the axle bolts was was HEAVILY corroded. Definitely concerning. After all the repairs, I used roofing tar tape to put between the two dissimilar metals.

euphoric1

Also figured I’d mention, I used to own a 7x23 stealth. After 3 hard years of use by the previous owner, I did a complete overhaul, took the axles off and did new bearings brakes leafs hardware etc por 15’ed the axles etc. after just 3 years the frame where the axle bolts was was HEAVILY corroded. Definitely concerning. After all the repairs, I used roofing tar tape to put between the two dissimilar metals.
that would work too! provide a good insulating point. i guarantee you most people don't think about that point, even manufacturers, just as I didn't parking in the grass lol