Amsoil 4 stroke oil vs Arctic Cat ctec4

rvrbum4

I'm new to 4-stroke sleds and just wondering about peoples thoughts/experiences with Amsoil 0-40 oil vs the Arctic Cat ctec4 oil.
The AC oil change kits are handy but I could use Amsoil for about the same cost, just not as easily accessible.
What do you run in your Yama-Cat 4 strokes??

old abe

Many of the Doo guys use Moble-1, 0w40 in there 4 stroke Rotax engines. I have never heard of any problems in doing so.

whitedust

Should not be anything special about any 4 stroke engine oil. Use a good full syn 0-30 and life should be good.

eao

I'm new to 4-stroke sleds and just wondering about peoples thoughts/experiences with Amsoil 0-40 oil vs the Arctic Cat ctec4 oil.
The AC oil change kits are handy but I could use Amsoil for about the same cost, just not as easily accessible.
What do you run in your Yama-Cat 4 strokes??

AMSOIL 0W-40 Synthetic Powersports oil is Specially formulated for 4-stroke recreational motors, ATVs and snowmobiles.

Do not use Automotive oil, automotive oils are formulated for emissions and fuel economy and don't have adequate additives for the small displacement engines. Yes, you can run them in a snowmobile but over time you will get deposits and cam lobe wear. Most people who use automotive oils don't have a clue since damage occurs over time.

Anyone can Order direct from AMSOIL. Fyi - they have a distribution center in Chicago so you will get is quickly.
Clcik ----> Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports Synthetic 0W-40 Motor Oil

Clcik ----> AMSOIL Snowmobile Product Lookup Guide

Mike
Synthoil Supply
Forum Sponsor

Last edited:

whitedust

Yeah I would not be swayed by any of that BS. I like Amsoil but really..... Everybody I know is using M1 full syn in their doo & Yamaha 4s since birth and all in big mile zone no problems what so ever. Check it out on TY M1 being used prolly more than Yam syn as said buy at Walmart have to buy Yam syn form dealers. To each his own no magic 4s oil.

old abe

I use it in my Doo, readily available at the local WalMart.
Blain's Farm and Fleet run sales at the same time as Moble 1 rebate programs. You can really get your costs down buying it this way. Just watch the sale adds.

catalac

I would not use auto oil in my 4 stroke. These motors run alot higher rpm than the auto and what eao said about the formula being different, is why I wouldn't .

old abe

I would not use auto oil in my 4 stroke. These motors run alot higher rpm than the auto and what eao said about the formula being different, is why I wouldn't .
As long as the "oil" that you use meets the engine manufacturer specs., is doesn't matter what "brand label" is on the container. The specs./numbers are the key to all lubricant applications, and requirements. This goes for engines, trans., gear boxes, and so forth. All owners/operators manuals will give you this information on whatever the vehicle, or equipment. I'm not bragging Mobile 1, but it does have a very broad application spec..

whitedust

As long as the "oil" that you use meets the engine manufacturer specs., is doesn't matter what "brand label" is on the container. The specs./numbers are the key to all lubricant applications, and requirements. This goes for engines, trans., gear boxes, and so forth. All owners/operators manuals will give you this information on whatever the vehicle, or equipment. I'm not bragging Mobile 1, but it does have a very broad application spec..

My ...My.... you should have seen the BS Blue Marble was spouting a few years ago about their 2s oil. I used the stuff and liked it mostly because it didn't seem to produce as much smoke as other 2s oils but I never saw any higher RPMs or greater gas milage. I see Blue Marbel for sale here and there but no ads anywhere anymore. lol... To me use whatever 4s oil you like all good who is better best will never be known....no way to know and like you siad just look for spec and enjoy.

xcsp

I have yet to read or hear of any 4-stroke engine failures running Mobil 1 or any other oil for that matter.
Use what you feel comfortable with.

I contacted Mobil 1 prior to using their oil in my sled and told them it would be used in a snowmobile application with higher rpm's than the average automobile and their response was that their oil is fine to use for that application.

I'll continue to use it until there is some hard proof that we shouldn't be using it.

Excuse me as I need to go shovel some white gold from my driveway :smile:

old abe

My ...My.... you should have seen the BS Blue Marble was spouting a few years ago about their 2s oil. I used the stuff and liked it mostly because it didn't seem to produce as much smoke as other 2s oils but I never saw any higher RPMs or greater gas milage. I see Blue Marbel for sale here and there but no ads anywhere anymore. lol... To me use whatever 4s oil you like all good who is better best will never be known....no way to know and like you siad just look for spec and enjoy.
Your nailed it Pete. And I have used Amsoil in different applications over many years. I always used the oil spec. that was called for, by the manufacturer. Amsoil is top quality oil/lubricant. Is it any better than other comparable lubricants, IDK. The same goes for Mobile 1.The correct spec. number is only thing that matters. I'm not sure what a "automotive", or "auto" oil would be for sure, nor would anyone else. There are many different oils that could be called "automotive", or"auto oil", but there are many different specs. numbers to those oils also. They are not all the same. There are also different spec. numbers required in the "Power Sport" world of vehicle's. 2 cycle oils differ greatly per application, and so do 4 stokes. You want right spec. number, who cares whatever they call it. Not trying to pick apart anyone, or any oil/brand.

old abe

xcsp you have noting to worry about. Mobil 1 "0W40", and "0W20" spec. numbers match the "BRP/Rotax" requirement spec. numbers exactly. The "0w20" is the very, very continuously cold spec number, as minus 20 degrees F. and colder. Not really used around here.

rvrbum4

Thanks for spirited conversation everyone! Since I'm not really seeing anything that would steer me away from AC oil toward Amsoil, I think I'm going to stick with the AC ctec4 oil change kit. Oil, filter, drain plug washer, o-ring, all in one kit and dealer is 1/2 mile from my house!