An interesting documentary

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished watching the documentary called “The Social Dilemma” on Netflix.

Pretty insightful and also pretty scary. I don’t do much social media. Facebook only and average around 30 minutes a day (scroll through while having breakfast). So I could not personally identify with the main premise, but I know some that it applies to perfectly.

i would be interested to know what other’s thoughts are after watching.

G

G

I thought everyone knew this. Every keystroke. All posts. Especially Facebook. It is there forever. Whoever thinks it might be important can access it anytime.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I thought everyone knew this. Every keystroke. All posts. Especially Facebook. It is there forever. Whoever thinks it might be important can access it anytime.

Not just keystrokes, but speech. Think they can't listen in on you? Just say "Hey Siri" into you iPhone!

It is not the collection of the data that was scary, it is what they are doing with it. I believe what the program is about is a big reason for the increase in hate going on in the past 10-12 years. Also a lot of the social unrest. The social media folks may not have meant to, but they are turning a lot of folks into robots without those persons even knowing it happening to them. One really needs to watch the entire program.

Don't worry Gary. No data mining on this site! I control what happens to what is said on this board and the only thing I do is make sure it is within the rules!

-John

G

G

My banker went to some big banking event somewhere. They don't want anyone in the banking industry to have Siri. Not loan officers. Not tellers. Not secretary s . Nobody.

BigSix

I don't participate in any social media platforms for the above reason and others. Unless you consider Untappd (beer app) social media. I know FB is nice to connect families that live in different cities/states/countries but not much else good about it IMO. I do view and comment on blogs of various topics.

timo

Watched it this past weekend.
interesting stuff. pretty much figured this was what was going on.
social media in general will be the down fall of us as a civilization.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I plan on watching it this weekend. I still put a lot of pictures from the weekends on my page, but that is about it. I no longer follow any news on Facebook, and unfortunately a lot of people too. Facebook is no longer about sharing pictures and fun stuff. It's all about politics now. Social media, and the hate it has brought forth, has really done some damage to society.

2TrakR

Not just keystrokes, but speech. Think they can't listen in on you? Just say "Hey Siri" into you iPhone!

And when apps like Instagram were enabling your mic and camera and collecting "information" without your knowledge or consent, "oops, that was a bug, we'll get right to fixing that".

misty_pines

It was interesting that we are the product, not the consumer, but the actual product. Those algorithms and artificial intelligence that is used to get more screen time out of us is pretty wild. The more time we spend on their sites such as Google, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc., the more money the owners of these sites make though advertising. It's all about the money. Many of the developers of these programs and algorithms didn't think about the ethical aspects of what they were doing when they created this sites and ways to get us to spend more time in them. Some of the developers are seeing the negative ramifications of this and indicated that this needs to change this as soon a possible to prevent further societal damage from this. Some of the negative aspects mentioned are spreading false information, changing the way people think, polarizing groups of people, etc., just so people will spend time on these sites. Worth a watch for sure if you haven't already.

Last edited:

chunk06

I have been wanting to get rid of facebook now for about the last year, but now they made Marketplace the main sight for buying and selling items. It really is scary how powerfull social media is getting.

acase27

I have been wanting to get rid of facebook now for about the last year, but now they made Marketplace the main sight for buying and selling items. It really is scary how powerfull social media is getting.

Marketplace is the sole reason I still have a Facebook account. If you want to buy/sell that's the place to be unfortunately.

chunk06

Marketplace is the sole reason I still have a Facebook account. If you want to buy/sell that's the place to be unfortunately.

Same here. I have put items on craigslist and Marketplace at the same time, sold the item right away on marketplace but forgot it was on craigslist unril I would get a reply days or weeks later.

bayfly

I watched this with my wife last night. Definitely worth spending the 1.5 hours to watch and learn more. Neither of us are on Facebook or any other social media for these vary reasons, although I did not fully appreciate the depth and complexity of the technology. I just know they are a time sucker. We have 3 adult children. 2 out of 3 spend way more time with social media than we think is healthy. Their attitudes and perspectives are also trending much more differently than us and their older sibling who is not so engaged with theses things. Sure made me think more seriously about the affect this stuff has and is having on our next generation. Pretty scary. Thanks for the recommendation John.