And so it begins!!

kirk600

that looks like a nice project right there Mike. I love the old wedge chassis sleds, and that years 650 colors are my favorite. Post up some more details when you get a chance. I might even have some parts, mostly chassis and suspension as I have a 1992 in the trailer that I used for parts for the rear skid and track.

mikes99ss

Pretty much a stock 1990 650. Want to do about a 90% restoration. 100% perfect just costs to much. I may need parts. Haven't opened it up yet. I know I need a brake lever for sure. The one on the sled is so fadded it's Orange.

kirk600

Mike,
I can't help you with the brake lever, but you might be able to find something out there.

I actually looked at a pair of pliers that have red covers on the handle and thought about your polaris..........

mikes99ss

Lol, I'm already neck deep into this doing research. I want to be as knowledgeable about these things as humanly possible before I open it up. But to me, that's half the fun!

kirk600

That is good to hear. There are a few snowmobile salvage yards around Michigan, and ebay has been good for me also,

your sled looks like it is pretty clean, take lots of pictures before you tear into it, the memory doesn't always remember wire routing fuel line routing etc.........

mikes99ss

That is good to hear. There are a few snowmobile salvage yards around Michigan, and ebay has been good for me also,

your sled looks like it is pretty clean, take lots of pictures before you tear into it, the memory doesn't always remember wire routing fuel line routing etc.........

Thanks!! Will do!!

skiroule

Cruising through these tonight to see if there are any updates on the projects. How's yours coming?

mikes99ss

Really just in the phase of collecting parts. I now have a nice 1" track, new break lever, new track bearings, plenty of spark plugs, new airbox foam, 2" riser block, plastic skis, new shorty winshield,and Fox shock that I just had rebuilt and revalved for my big butt.

If anyone thinks it might be fun, I'll start a new thread and post pics and updates from time so everyone can follow along with the process.

Last edited:

skiroule

Definitely start a new thread here in the vintage section. This is the kind of stuff that is great to follow, especially during the summer.

On the projects I've worked on so far, trying to get together a bunch of parts first has also been my strategy. In fact, just this morning I'm trying to score some NOS parts for a 72 Chaparral Firebird SS.

Coincidentally, a couple days ago I saw a 1990 Indy 650 for sale in Nuncia, MI. Probably too far from where you are but the guy only wanted $400. Seemed like a good price to me and might be a great parts source. Didn't look bad at all.