Any legal buffs out there? unreported accident

polarisrider1

I agree with moose.

Have an attorney draw up a letter of settlement agreed upon by all parties involved. Everybody knows someone that knows an attorney.

This could be a huge legal issue if you report it know. The worst they go for is the whole DUI thing thus the delay in reporting.

Hopefully, for your sake, he has a skeleton in his closet and just wants to make this go away.

A legal letter of settlement for all parties involved is the only way this won't come back to bite you in the azz at a later date.

Good Luck!
Dave

X2, good points Dave

vx700xtc

Does he have any proof you are responsible for his damage? witnesses? If not, he cant force you to do anything. You agreed to pay, so do it and be done with it.

lazer103

here is what you are facing : failure to report accident, failure to have insurance as required by law.. to big tickets you will pay plus a possible license suspension because YOU caused damage. You will also be required to obtain an sr22 filing which means you will be forced to switch your insurance to high risk. all your auto policies will be cancelled by your insurance compnay and you will be placed in high risk due to the required sr 22 filing. bottom line. your insurance will go up more than double.....pay this guy off as fast as you can... the longer you wait his price goes up.... sorry for the bad news here but this is the way it is.. i work in insurance. good luck

catdog

There is a reason why you both didn’t want to involve the police. He is probably worried that you won’t pay so that’s why he is threatening to go to the Police, but in reality he can’t because he also left the scene of the accident. I don’t think he will go to the Police. Call him and work something out.

snocrazy

Pay with a check or miney order in case he comes after you even after you pay.
If you go to court, you can prove what you have paid so far.