Any new trail/grooming reports as of the 23rd for the Gogebic area?

renten

Looking for current info on grooming and conditions for trails 1,2,13, 100 and 11S. Thanks. I am at my cottage in Boulder and will ride until Sat so check back for updates for Vilas co.

bonnevier

FYI...Trail 100 on the bottom of the lake is closed for the 2017-2018 season due to logging and they are hoping it will reopen next season.

frnash

THANKS FOR THE LINK FRNASH you rock! No spelling errors though............................
1. You're welcome, and thank you for the hint/clue!
2. "No spelling errors though": Nope, neither of us!
(Of course I 'never' make spelling "misteaks", I just can't type! ;))

renten

I answered my own question. Rode for a little sample. 11S to trail 2, passable but not groomed,2 heading east ok until Marinesco, then crap. 1 from Merinesco to Presque Isle, garbage. All bad trails were part of the Gogebic trail system. As soon as we got to the trail 1 turn off south we saw the Watersmeet system did their job and groomed heading east. We were tricked again.

old abe

Seems as "should be" means same as before??? Should be, but probably not grooming??? Just no effort by Gogebic area.

sparkee1958

Trail 1 from Presque Isle to Lake Gogebic Lodge, and Trail 13 from 2 to the Root Cellar will probably be bad all winter. The north end of both 1 and 13 are closed due to logging, and only 13 has a temporary reroute. I recommend staying away until they resolve this. They claim there is not enough snow, but Watersmeet is grooming, so no excuse. They wont drive down the road 10 miles to get at the southern half of the Lake. Wisconsin people find another route. The only people who will suffer will be the businesses in that area. Whoever is in charge now should be fired!

Last edited:

old abe

Trail 1 from Presque Isle to Lake Gogebic Lodge, and Trail 13 from 2 to the Root Cellar will probably be bad all winter. The north end of both 1 and 13 are closed due to logging, and only 13 has a temporary reroute. I recommend staying away until they resolve this. They claim there is not enough snow, but Watersmeet is grooming, so no excuse. They wont drive down the road 10 miles to get at the southern half of the Lake. Wisconsin people find another route. The only people who will suffer will be the businesses in that area. Whoever is in charge now should be fired!

I can't begin to remember all of the excuses we have heard on the Gogebic area grooming over the last 5/6 years. Just no effort to the grooming. They let it get so bad, that when they attempt to groom it's difficult to get the trails in good shape again. We started going there in the late 70's. Sad, but so.

slowsi00

I answered my own question. Rode for a little sample. 11S to trail 2, passable but not groomed,2 heading east ok until Marinesco, then crap. 1 from Merinesco to Presque Isle, garbage. All bad trails were part of the Gogebic trail system. As soon as we got to the trail 1 turn off south we saw the Watersmeet system did their job and groomed heading east. We were tricked again.

how brutal!!! its been this way all year.

watersmeet, presque isle, bruce crossing --- all grooming and in great shape around the south of gogebic. (where there supposedly isn't much snow)

there is a radar run on lake gogebic with the funds going to the gogebic grooming association second weekend in feb. could be a great place to go voice some frustrations.
pretty sad situation around the lake. especially with the potential it has to be such an awesome area.

Lake gogebic should be the best groomed most snowmobile friendly (signage, parking, friendliness, patience etc...) and its not. It quite possibly the worst area for those items in the UP currently. If lake gogebic, bergland, marinesco, were to truly embrace snowmobiling again it has the chance to be amazing. Until then we will take our dollars to a more snowmobile friendly area in the UP.

How were the grade trails east, west, and north of watersmeet? Are the stones still coming through? We were up there Jan 14-17, and there was a bunch of rocks and sand coming through.

harvest1121

I will have to say I do not think Gogebic know how to groom properly when they do groom. But was there Friday during the warm up and never saw so many snowmobiles on 1 and 8. Both trails were not too bad for the weather. But was riding slower with the group I was with.

snobuilder

How were the grade trails east, west, and north of watersmeet? Are the stones still coming through? We were up there Jan 14-17, and there was a bunch of rocks and sand coming through.

obviously low snow conditions can't be helped with grooming....in some conditions the sand will mix with 2' of dry snow.

favoritos

Rode some of the trails over the past five days. Trail 1, 102, 8, in both directions, 2, 107, 3, 13, and a few further away like 160, 134, 132, 11N, and northern Wiscony. Saw many of the trails quite a few times over the week. Conditions around Gogebic varied a lot with warm temps. Most of the trails missed at least one day of grooming. Traffic was close to normal, but warm temps hurt conditions quickly. Trails came back to very good shape with cool down, snow, and a fresh groom. Wanted to stay longer with trails being so much better. Traffic was also very light during and after the snow.

Harvest1121, they did let the trails get way too bad this year before they really started to groom. Too much junk kept getting dragged out of the deep holes and the tops were rock ice. It takes a lot of snow and consistent grooming to overcome those issues.

Cloud_master, the rocks are much better now. They let the trail sit during the warm up and had plenty of snow to help cover them after the storm.

T- BONE

Coming from Watersmeet, whats the best way to get on the lake so we can get to the Lodge, hoop, root cellar? I keep reading all these trail closures and no grooming...