Anybody been doing any grilling or bbq'ing?

snoluver1

Here's mine today. Top loin roast (aka New York strip). Tried a homemade teriyaki marinade for 24 hrs. Surprisingly, not much of the marinade flavor ended up in the meat? Turned out great none the less. 3 hrs on cherry wood, then reverse sear. I would have to say, it was pretty dang close to just as a good as a Prime Rib, but substantially cheaper!
IMG_20200525_160247.jpg

snowchief

View attachment 61831 Thats it I am cooking ribs this weekend!! This was my creation on the 4th of July. I soak them in apple juice for a day before cooking them. I think that helps alot!

X2 on the apple juice, roasting a pig we dump apple juice on it a few times during the process, ribs look DELICIOUS I am guessing I won't be going to one of my favorite activities this summer rib fest,

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Slim.

Fired up the smoker last night and did some steaks via your reverse sear method. Worked great. Probably will never do it any other way during the warm season. My smoker is a ceramic one (Kamodo Joe), so do not use it when it is cold.

Turkey, Ribs, Pulled Pork will be the next to do. Would love to do brisket, but priced one out at $125 ! Holy Wha!

5_spot

Great Thread!

I put something on the smoker almost every weekend year round. I switch back n forth or use in combination a Pellet Grill and Kamado.

Going to need to pull up some recent cook pics & join in!

goofy600

Have some perch, small mouth bass, cream cheese topped with cheddar cheese jalapeños and asparagus on the smoker right now. I have done the jalapeños and asparagus in the past this type of fish is a first. Hopefully it turns out good. Will give report later.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cajun Tonight
One pound of Jumbo's

Cajun on 6-5-20.jpg

Hey, as long as we're on the subject, how does everyone select their corn. This corn tonight was Great, other times not so much flavor. Can you tell from appearance? I usually just pick out some at random and hope for the best. Thoughts?

frnash

how does everyone select their corn. This corn tonight was Great, other times not so much flavor. Can you tell from appearance? I usually just pick out some at random and hope for the best. Thoughts?
Corn is more perishable than you ever guessed.
The secret to corn is: Fresh! Fresh! Fresh!

This might help:
The following is a transcript of the pertinent bits of …
(click →) Alton Brown's Good Eats "Ear Apparent", episode EA1B09, from July 19, 2000. (YouTube video, 22 min. + 19 sec.)

The endosperm is mostly made up of sugar. When the ear is picked, it senses that something is seriously wrong and it deploys an enzyme that starts rapidly converting the sugar to a more easily metabolized starch. A culinary time bomb.

How fast does this happen? Well, let me put it this way. I know corn connoisseurs out there who actually put a pot of water on to boil before they go down to their market for their corn.

You can buy yourself some time by only choosing really fresh corn. When you pick up an ear take a really good look at it.

• Is it plump?
  • Is the husk bright and moist?
  • Is the cut end bright and moist?
    There shouldn't be any dark splotches there.
  • Look at the tassel. The tassel should be slightly sticky and brown — not matted and black. A black tassel signifies a mature ear with more starch than sugar.
  • Take a look inside.
  • The kernels should be tight, rowed all the way up to the top, and should explode with milky goodness when pierced.
You can get maybe 1-3 days out of your fresh corn if you wrap it tightly in plastic and put it in the coldest part of your freezer.

If you're looking for even more time, you're going to have to take a cue from food scientists at the University of Maryland who've actually figured out that you can hold corn at it's peak of flavor for up to two weeks if you shuck it and give it a 15 minute bath in ice water that has been laced with one drop of lemon juice and -- believe it or not — two drops of Clorox bleach. It turns out that the bleach/citrus Mickey lowers the water's pH just enough to inhibit both microbial and enzymatic action in the corn.

If your corn has been stored for more than a day or two, or if the farm is more than two zip codes down the road, add two tablespoons of sugar to the bath — but no salt.

Post bath, just seal it up in a freezer bag and put it right back into the coldest part of your refrigerator.

Last edited:

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you use to season those shrimp Gary? They look really good.

Mike, here's what I used for one pound of shrimp;

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp of smoked paprika
1 tspn of garlic powder
1 tspn of onion powder
1 tspn of dried oregano
1 tspn of dried basil
1/2 tspn of salt
1/2 tspn of pepper
1/4 tspn of cayenne pepper

Toss the shrimp in a bowl with the above ingredients until they're all coated and you're ready to grill. There are many other recipes on-line, I just happen to use this one regularly. The cayenne pepper is the one that gives you "the heat". Depending on your tastes, 1/4 teaspoon is about a 5 or 6 on a scale of 10 and one pound of jumbo shrimp feeds about 2 1/2 people with sides.

Gary

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I did finally get to smoking the turkey. Turned out great and will be doing it more, especially for lunch meat for the week. It was just a 9 lb breast and did it at 250 for 2 hours. Was done at that point, so I quickly shot the temp up to 375 to get an extra crisp on the skin.

Untitled-1.jpg

bobt

After going to probably the best smoke food joint I've ever been to (Curious Pig in Crystal Falls) I tried smoked Corned beef brisket (not regular beef brisket) , it was absolutely AMAZING!

So, I tried it at home in my MES smoker, covered in brown mustard (nice bark) and it was very close to the quality of Curious Pig. The only thing I did different was to soak it in water for 1 day to remove salt before smoking.

If ya get near Crystal Fall give Curious Pig a try, sides and sauces are all made from scratch,,,,I've tried about everything and it is all very, very good! Everything is smokey and very tender.

Last edited:

chords

Grilled some all beef hot dogs rotating evenly for 15 min while slowly browning the buns at a low temp and with all the fixins and a handful of chips and sweet pickles they were awesome. Couple Ding Dongs topped it all off. Sorry no pictures.

slimcake

Geez chords you shouldn't go all out like that... I did some beef short ribs yesterday. I think that the short ribs really come down to the butcher and this guy is still learning. They were tasty though! image000000.jpg This weekend is the big cook. Fourth of July fireworks extravaganza!!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Just got home with a brisket. Price went from $125 to $62 for the same size cut. Can’t wait to do it up. Thought I would not be able to have one this bbq season.

slimcake

Just got home with a brisket. Price went from $125 to $62 for the same size cut. Can’t wait to do it up. Thought I would not be able to have one this bbq season.

Ya buddy! My meat man told me it was down to 3.50 a pound so that sounds about right. He is not the cheapest but gets good stuff! I am doing pork overload this weekend. Two pork butts, three racks of baby backs and the appetizer is pork belly bites!! YUM!!! One thing I will tell you is if you are gonna wrap the brisket do it in butcher paper and not foil. Trust me. Get the red butcher paper.