Anyone know Manitowoc?

racerx

We are heading to Manitowoc for the air show this w/e as we have done for some time now and would like to know of any good places to eat, we are tired of stopping at fast food joints and want to explore a bit, we have explored but not for food. What we are looking for is just regular ole food nothing exotic doesn't even have to be of any special ethnic food. Breakfast, lunch or dinner suggestions as we do not have any time frame yet.

We have done the diner at the hotel down by the submarine which was OK. Speaking of the sub, we are hoping this time to do a tour of the sub as all these years we have been trying to do it but it always turns out that it is closed.

Any help would be appreciated....Thanx

jr37

I don't know of a good food place, but definately do the sub. It is amazing how men lived in there back in the day. You sure needed to get along with your shipmates.

Eating

The wife and I just ate at the restaurant next to the Super 8 which is just off I43. It was pretty good. I think they were going for a sports bar theme, but also wanted it to be a family rest. so they got confused on the decorating. Pretty good food and they have TV's for the games.

ibendwire

racerx,

For breakfast you have perkins, golden flame, and warren's.

Lunch: Applebee's, Charcoal Grill, Time out sports bar.

Dinner: The ones listed for lunch also serve dinner but there is also the Courthouse pub, Luigi's (which is more Italian style) and Tony's pizza. Seven Lakes golf course also has good friday fish and they are about 10 miles west of town.

There is more but at least should be a start for you. I hope this helps.

Hopefully the weather cooperates this year for the air show. It is neat to have something like that for such a small town. The show was almost cancelled this year because it had been losing so much money the last couple of years do to bad weather. The sub is cool to see and you might want to consider going to the Maritime Museum as well.

toolmaker

If you are looking for pizza, Tony's is good. If you are looking for fine dining and drinks, go to the Courthouse Pub; www.courthousepub.com. I live by GB but work in Manty. Hopefully the weather works for the show, not quite as warm as last weekend.

racerx

Thanx guys for the info, it really helps to have some "direction" with food as I prefer asking before just experimenting blindly. It seems like a few common ones are popping up so we will put them on the list. I believe we are staying at the super 8 so that one may work.

Did not know about the possible cancellation. I think we missed the last two years but previously we went every year. I remember once sitting by the sub watching the night balloon glow but it was SO foggy we could hardly see the othe side of the river and you guys know how "wide" that river is there.

THANX AGAIN!!!!

PS..I see a bunch of you guys in manuf at least by your forum name. I passed up on a wire/stamping job to do what I in now, making tooling for machines, ie.drills/mills/reamers mainly for CNC machines.

racerx

Yes I noticed that on the schedule..the wife is so into this w/e she printed out the whole schedule of events, coupons for the area and other info on sites she wants to see.

From what I can see they will be having an "evening" airshow after the ballon glow as well.

polarisrider1

Okay, I will be in Manitowoc July 7th and 8th on my boat. What restaurants are within walking distance of the Marina on Maritime Drive? I have a few names but not sure how far to walk. Courthouse Pub, Fat Seagull, Friar tucks, Green Street food and Spirits and Luigi's. Any input would be nice. I do have a Zodiac (smaller boat) so either side of the river will work for me.

ibendwire

polarisrider1- The Courhouse pub and Fat Seagull are in walking distance. The others you listed are not. The courthouse pub is probably 8-10 blocks away. The Best western hotel has a restaurant. There is also the Harborside and if you like wings, there is a bar called Legend Larry's that makes great wings. I hope this helps.

polarisrider1

polarisrider1- The Courhouse pub and Fat Seagull are in walking distance. The others you listed are not. The courthouse pub is probably 8-10 blocks away. The Best western hotel has a restaurant. There is also the Harborside and if you like wings, there is a bar called Legend Larry's that makes great wings. I hope this helps.

Yes it does, thank you! :)

danzo

ibendwire is pretty much right on. Grew up in Mtwc and now live in Cleveland which is only about 10 miles from Mtwc. You wont be needing your zodiac to motor to any place though, the river pretty much leads you to nowhere. Just walk south up 8th street and you'll find courthouse pub. Also if you want some real tasty old fashion desserts/candy go to Beernsteins. Its just north of the 8th street bridge and is like walking into a 1920's ice cream store. If you need some NICE adult entertainment take a cab out to the Top Hat on Calumet Ave.

polarisrider1

We ate at the Harborside Restaurant last night, not bad. The Court House Pub is pricey, Stay claer of the Fat Seagul Pub. You need to go to Kathies Stage Door Pub at 701 Franklin St. it is by the A/B plant behind the civic center. Irish pub and Kathie is in her 90's. nice place The sub tour is worth it, we did that yesterday. Burger has a massive yacht in one of the buildings I spotted on a Zodiac cruise up the river yersterday.

polarisrider1

The deep fried and breaded Cheese Curds are to die for at Harborside! They are a real heart stopper! One order makes a meal! Highly recomend. Love all the micro brews that are offered in Manitowoc. Okay, I am off like a prom dress to the next port, Sheboygan, Wis. for 3 days.