Anyone planning a vintage project over the summer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 10829
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10829

Is anyone planning to work on their vintage sled this summer? It would be great to follow another project like skiroule did last year. I always looked forward to the updates! :)

skiroule

Hey ya!
I agree that these projects are fun to follow and the updates are always interesting. Restorations, rat rods, riders, mods, anything you might ride someday would all be cool. No question that these can be multi-year projects but that shouldn’t discourage anyone from sharing their project.

I'm pretty sure there are some out there.

jr37

I have started working on my Scorpion Sidewinder. It is not going to be a restoration, just needs a bunch of work to make it rideable again. Took the suspension and front drive out this week. It appears like I'm in the market for a new rear suspension, this ones pretty rough. Will also need complete skis, springs, shocks and spindles. After that it needs some carb work, but that will come later.

skiroule

Jon, I found a photo of your Sidewinder on the Pictures thread. Those are great looking sleds. Guess you know most of the same parts sources as I do so I’m probably not much help in the parts search. I plan to hit Princeton this August so if you’re still in need of something then, I can always take a look. I love rooting through the swap stuff.

I’m still on the fence regarding a summer project. Kind of waiting to see how much time (and money) I have to work with. Every now and then I see something for sale that looks interesting and workable but distance is usually a problem. I guess by late June I’ll have to make a decision. Either way I know I have to get my TX parts inventory under control. What a mess!

snocrazy

I have a 1972 Johnson with a rotary engine in it. A family had it in back of shed and has not seen the light of day since the mid 1990's.
Cleaned the carb and it runs like a champ. Going to research what needs to be done maintenance wise to the engine and chain case.
I just want to go over the thing and make it 100% mechanically sound. I plan to hit the relic rides in the area with it next year.
Really excited. It does about 40mph. That seems like Mach 1 on an old sled with minimal suspension. The seat has storage under it in this thing. I think it will hold 2 cases of beverages!

skiroule

Congrats!!! Have to love those Wankels! To have one in running condition and in an OMC sled is pretty special. You have reason to be exited. You’re ridin’ in style now. Hopefully you’ll make some rides next year. The one at Big Bay is only a short drive away and there’s always Copper Harbor.

The seat has storage under it in this thing. I think it will hold 2 cases of beverages!

Funny - the last show I went to, a Johnson owner actually listed this in the “special features” section of his entry form – space for a couple of cases.

All you have to get now is a “Kiss My Johnson” patch and you’re set.

If someone else doesn’t, I think I’ll start a new “Summer Projects 2014” thread and hopefully you’ll post some pics there.

skiroule

You’ve got to be kidding, a Gilson? I have to say you will be the only one on your block with one. I have a lot of respect for someone that would take on that project. Maybe you can find some MW decals and make it a “Monkey Wards” model. There can’t be many of those left.

This is fun to see some vintage projects ramping up. In my mind, these sleds represent the golden years of the sledding industry. Yes, they were primitive by today’s standards but if you look at the number of companies in the industry, sales, and just general interest of the population, it’s unrivaled today.

All right, that’s it, I’m starting a new projects thread.

jr37

Well, I'm picking up a rear suspension, springs, spindles and an exhaust can tomorrow. Maybe by the end of next week I'll be able to pull the carbs. I think I'll still need new skis, but I'll wait to see how everything lines up first. The front end was damaged one time and now does not sit even. I think I can fix that issue, but part of it is needing matching skis, springs and spindles. I am finding alot of oil on the crankcase, so it may be in need of an engine rebuild. Probably better to freshen it now instead of after it blows.

Sure will be nice to be back on a Scorp next season.