Anyone use spray foam insulation

duramaxdoo

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on using closed cell spray foam insulation on a small cabin that is built up on piers. Trying to find the best way to insulate cabin in order to use year round. Just looking for ideas or prior experiences/advice if used by anyone.

slimcake

Good stuff but very spendy. I have a buddy that does the install and he says he can heat his big old farm house with a candle!! He prolly right to. Trouble is when you use it there is no air moving at all. Sometimes it is trouble if you get a house/cabin to air tight because of water ect..

duramaxdoo

Should have noted I only need to insulate floor joist spaces in my original post. as the rest of cabin is already done. Thanks.....

ezra

other down side if you do bust a watter line in the joist gets to be a bitch to find cracked pipe but and if you want to fish wire at some point latter you cant do it in the joist.other than that great stuff

oldguy

I had the same issue with our old cabin. I framed a wall system around the piers and used fiberglass bats to insulate the new walls. Then I heated the new basement area. This gave me access to all of the plumbing in the floor like the fresh water and the sewer connections. I also looked at the floor insulation idea, but there was too much plumbing that had to be rerouted.

G

G

If there is not too much stuff in the way there is no better way to seal up the otherwise tough to insulate floor joist area. It is tough to do this area effectively with batts. Did my house this way in '97 and have had no regrets. Also works well to seal areas above and around recessed lights with this foam. They can also be tough to get sealed up with batts.

booondocker

Oldguy is right. With weather coming from down below, you can insulate til the cows come home and cold will radiate upward and you will be able to freeze butter by leaving it on the floor. I would guess it would help to have the insulation down there some, but no where near as much as if you build up a parameter, even if temporary thru the winter and take it down each spring, to STOP cold and WIND from entering under the cabin. Not only does this leave the sub floor accessible to you for wiring and plumbing, but it means you will prevent the cold from coming under and rising up.

It is hard to heat a box on the bottom. But remarkably easy to heat once the surround is blocked off and preventing the cold from accessing the underside of the cabin. And what about the water line and sewer lines exposed to the cold? Just hard to do this effectively and have it work the way you want it to.

Each year I use a log cabin all winter on odd weekends. Until there is enough snow to "bank" the walls, the underside is open to the cold and I can tell you walking in your bear feet (in the cabin) is an eye opener until you bank it, and then the whole cabin warms faster and will stay warm with minimal wood burning. I can only imagine a good tight sub wall going around would be even more effective in keep the wood use down and the floor warm.

Consider a plywood surround that you can put down in the late fall, and take off in the spring before snowmelt....no mold issues, no animals taking up residence, and blocks the cold from getting down there....the earth does a remarkable job of staying warm if you prevent the air from getting in from the outside.

Ground doesn't freeze much if snow gets down and blankets the ground before really hard cold sets in. Leave it exposed and it will freeze up and heave up an amazing amount.

dooski

Ground is your friend per expert I had over to advise. Most of my home is on a crawl space I was going to blow it full of fiberglass. He talked me out of it and said I should focus on the perimiter. (Also a bad idea becasue it settles)

ezra

years ago I had some people up to my cabin in jan no running watter just a hand pump for winter and dump a bucket of watter down head after a #2 or insulation in floor.well the guys went for a ride and a buds wife thought she would do somthing nice and mop the entry because it was kinda gritty.well we had a nice ice path for the rest of the trip and also the next weekend.

powder_poacher

most of your heat loss is up, like 70%, only about 15% is lost through floor. is it on crawl space? perimeter is more crucial than joices. you need to stop air flow, i.e. wind. ground will heat through winter if you can keep it from freezing. need more info. good luck