Ape Hangers.

T

Team Elkhorn

Nope. I'd imagine it's one of those "If you need to ask you wouldn't understand" topics.
Heck, I can't even hang a ceiling fan without stopping to let the blood flow back into my arms once or twice.

mride460

Can someone explain this concept to me?

For some taller guys like me, apes are used to relieve lower neck and shoulder pain, caused by bikes being built ergonomically to fit more average sized people. My apes only have a 12" rise to them which is only about 6 or 7" difference from stock. The bars I have also have a more flat or horizontal grip position, which I find fits me better. For me its much like my sled. I add a taller riser and prefer a straight styled bar on my trail machine that I rarely ride standing up.
Others just think ape hangers look cool, and the taller the cooler. To tall, and I personally have issues with circulation, so I guess its up to the individual...

mride460

Can someone explain this concept to me?

Thought you might get a kick out of this...

2h73qft.jpg

Firecatguy

I do not have a set nor do my short reach arms like them....but my friends do and they love them.....you can go way over board and that is what alot young riders do!!!

If you think back when you had a trail sled and the bars where in you knees???well remeber the first sled you rode with taller bars how nice it was for control and your arms felt better after a long ride??same thing with bars on bikes.....not all bars work for everyone....5,9 and over with a long reach will benifit from a set of 12-14 apes (depends on bike)....I work and sell parts for a good friend at his shop I also work trade shows selling add ons and seen alot shocked people over the bar dillema....

Special K

I am 5'7" and have the 12 inch rise on my road king classic. My hands are basically right in front of my chest/shoulders. VERY comfortable. not high enough to lose feeling in my hands.

Firecatguy

I am 5'7" and have the 12 inch rise on my road king classic. My hands are basically right in front of my chest/shoulders. VERY comfortable. not high enough to lose feeling in my hands.

yep thats a perfect fit.....what seat you running as that has alot to do woth it too...sounds like you found your pefect size....

ezra

I see some of these guys with there hands as high as there head riding with a vest on and I would think it has to sting like heck when that pit hair gets all tangled in to pit dreads .

Firecatguy

I see some of these guys with there hands as high as there head riding with a vest on and I would think it has to sting like heck when that pit hair gets all tangled in to pit dreads .

should see their eyes when they get their first ticket in South dakota...then one everyday till you leave....lol.....they(police) worry about "reach" more than higgt....you can super high bars but pulled back they will still be legal....

800etec

Spot on, Firecatguy,I found out the hard way that they don't appreciate that at all! Then try going to Wyoming! Geezzz

fastercat

I seen a guy that looked like he could barely reach his bars leaving a parking lot and as I was following someone cut him off and he could not react fast enough to swerve and layed the bike down, makes you wonder about ape hangers