Arctic Cat EXT vs. Crossfire?

KnappAttackAC

Was wondering if anybody has either of these sleds or rode both and which they like best? I'm also split between the 4 stroke turbo and the 800 or even the 1000 as well. I currently have a 02 ZR 800 crosscountry and want to update to one of these two sleds. Any good or bad views that could help me decide would be great!

mrfreeze

I have owned an '04 EXT 700 and now have an '06 Crossfire 700. Hands down the Crossfire! Great in the deep powder and on the trail.

KnappAttackAC

thanks guys! I've been wondering if there's that much differance between the 144 (EXT) and the 141 (Crossfire). I think I have found a deal for a crossfire so I am starting to lean on that. Anybody else want to chime in?

favoritos

thanks guys! I've been wondering if there's that much differance between the 144 (EXT) and the 141 (Crossfire). I think I have found a deal for a crossfire so I am starting to lean on that. Anybody else want to chime in?

Riding style is important in helping you.

Some things are distinctly different between the two sleds.

I have an EXT. I have only put on about 1,400 miles, so I'm still trying to get it dialed in for my riding. I also have rode the CF chassis for the last 15,000 miles. I would like to know which CF you are looking to ride. There is a big difference in the SP vs standard and riding style.

ezra

if you dont plan on going off trail or pounding ditch get the turbo.if you dont plan on motor mods like pipes power comander then get the 800 the m8 is just as fast as the 1000 untill you do some mods then hands down the 1000 rocks.but that said the 1000 will need extra motor mounts to keep it from twisting and eating 160 buck belts like candy.and when you have that mutch torque you have to use it and abuse it so you will be guzzelng the gas.and the 1000 has vibration at most rpm bad I dont think so but I am not a refined power steering kind of guy.I have riden the 144 turbo ext and it is great lake trail sled prob what I will have in a few yrs when my back is completly shot and I cant boondock any more.but till then xfire or M for me

KnappAttackAC

I think of myself as an aggressive rider that rides the trails in southeast MN hard and like to hit the ditches as well. I also ride some ditches that get filled in good as well too. I plan on riding out west as well so need a good trail sled as well as something that can somewhat handle the deep out west. I don't do any mods to my sleds..engine, pipe or such.

KnappAttackAC

Riding style is important in helping you.

Some things are distinctly different between the two sleds.

I have an EXT. I have only put on about 1,400 miles, so I'm still trying to get it dialed in for my riding. I also have rode the CF chassis for the last 15,000 miles. I would like to know which CF you are looking to ride. There is a big difference in the SP vs standard and riding style.

I found a 09 Crossfire with a 1000 engine-standard one. I think this is the new twin spar chassis right?

ezra

just so you know the 09 1000 is like 29lbs more than the 800 but the 1000 has somthing like 9 to 11 more hp.add a can and only 19 lbs more heavy.the torque is great on the 1000.ypipe/ pipe/ power comander 192hp

favoritos

I think of myself as an aggressive rider that rides the trails in southeast MN hard and like to hit the ditches as well. I also ride some ditches that get filled in good as well too. I plan on riding out west as well so need a good trail sled as well as something that can somewhat handle the deep out west. I don't do any mods to my sleds..engine, pipe or such.
Heading out west and ditch banging are not going to be easy with the EXT. The sled rides great, but it does not play well in super deep snow with stock setup.

I found a 09 Crossfire with a 1000 engine-standard one. I think this is the new twin spar chassis right?

The 09 has engine reverse. Good year for the 1000 motor. The standard chassis is a better trail riding sled. Get a set of coupler blocks.

You mentioned trail riding. Keep in mind that you will want to dial in the chassis for pure trail riding. Either choice(EXT or Crossfire) will require some tweaking to get it anywhere close to the feel of your ZR on the trail.

Good Luck, on your choice.

special_k

I have an 05 f7 ext (144) and an 07 Crossfire 1000. In terms of the length of track when I'm on a trail, I don't notice it that much, since I've put so many miles on. Both sleds are studded, so I need some heavy duty carbides in the front. Overall it does well in the trails. You are probably not going to hang with short tracks that are built for trail riding, but with a 1000, all you need is one straight section of track and you are right on top of them. :) In terms of gas/oil, my 1000 does better than my F7. If you're just out cruising, 55-60, this thing doesn't even work hard. I can see going through some gas if you're pounding on it, but the 1000 isn't the pig most people think it is. Torque is great, power is great. I have 4200 miles on my Crossfire, no issues but the valves being a little gummed up. I put a can on it to save a little weight too. She rocks.

KnappAttackAC

Are you talking about the new EXT that just came out this year?

Yep talking about the 2011 EXT with the 144 inch track. Comes in either 800 HO two stroke engine or the 4 stroke with turbo. But the crossfire I'm looking at is 09 crossfire 1000 the standard, but am also looking at the 2011 crossfire as well.

KnappAttackAC

I have an 05 f7 ext (144) and an 07 Crossfire 1000. In terms of the length of track when I'm on a trail, I don't notice it that much, since I've put so many miles on. Both sleds are studded, so I need some heavy duty carbides in the front. Overall it does well in the trails. You are probably not going to hang with short tracks that are built for trail riding, but with a 1000, all you need is one straight section of track and you are right on top of them. :) In terms of gas/oil, my 1000 does better than my F7. If you're just out cruising, 55-60, this thing doesn't even work hard. I can see going through some gas if you're pounding on it, but the 1000 isn't the pig most people think it is. Torque is great, power is great. I have 4200 miles on my Crossfire, no issues but the valves being a little gummed up. I put a can on it to save a little weight too. She rocks.

special K
that's what I was looking for on the 1000 and I agree it seems like these newer engines are that much more better then past years. I have a 97 zr580 efi and my 02 zr800 efi gets much better gas mileage then that little sled. I figure if you don't mess with the engine and such not going to have problems with it rather then mod stuff and having some fun for awile then blowing up stuff. I have friends that ride the 600s and they are fast around the twistys and I'm right on them but give me a just a little tad room to open up then whoo HOO I'm gone! I've gotten used to my 800 so looking for a little more other riding and sure open up when can. I have rode the new Z1's and like the riding style of that chassis and looking to get away from the ZR style

thanks guys I take each of your views to help me decide! the more I get the more helpful it is :)