Ariens Snowblower

maddogg

Has anyone ever had to replace the governor gear on an Ariens Compact 24 snow blower? 9.8HP. I think mine went out last night. I shut if down before the engine blew, but can't find where the gear is located. Unit is only 3 years old.

Thanks!

old abe

Has anyone ever had to replace the governor gear on an Ariens Compact 24 snow blower? 9.8HP. I think mine went out last night. I shut if down before the engine blew, but can't find where the gear is located. Unit is only 3 years old.

Thanks!

Gear? It sounds as if a "governor spring" might have come unhooked, or broke? Any "gear" would be inside the engine crankcase.

maddogg

Governor spring looked fine. I was afraid of it being in the gearcase. Its a $6 plastic part on the interwebs lol.

maddogg

The rod that runs to the governor was broken. $72 fix with a tune up. Had to take the gas tank off to find it. Thanks everyone!

euphoric1

maddogg, sorry I didn't chime in earlier as was up north, if the fuel tank had to be removed to get at governor linkage I am assuming you have a briggs engine, governor gear failure is less common on these engines as were the Tecumseh engines $72 dollars to fix and tune up... a very reasonable repair. For those that are reading this, before you assume the failure to be an internal governor failure, start the engine, manually move the gov. arm or linkage with your fingers, you should feel the governor pushing to close the throttle, the spring is what actually pulls the throttle open and the gov fights to close it, and between proper spring tension and governor adjustment there is a happy medium where the engine runs at a constant rpm, in this case was a broken linkage, could be internal gov failure or even a static gov adjustment. If anyone ever encounters this and everything is externally connected properly simply move linkage with fingers and if you feel resistance or push against movement the internal gear and spool is ok and will prevent unnecessary disassembly of engine. sorry again I didn't chime in earlier but hopefully this will help someone further down the road.

maddogg

No problem on chiming in earlier! That is some great advice. One of those things you learn as you go. I was really happy with the repair and price. In my mind I kind of lucked out - cheap repair and I shut it down before it blew lol.