Ashland area

I am leaving on a trip Monday and we are thinking of starting in Clam Lake, Wisconsin and riding to Bayfield before heading towards the UP on the way to Copper Harbor. Looking on Polaris ride command it doesn’t show the trail connecting between Ashland and Ironwood unless you go south down to Mellon. Is this true? No direct route over across northern Wisconsin? I’ve rode this area only a few times and never tried to ride into the UP while doing it.

Thanks, I had heard that just wanted to verify. That may change our plans then and head straight for Ironwood. I was hoping to check out the Bayfield area but another time perhaps.

old abe

Thanks, I had heard that just wanted to verify. That may change our plans then and head straight for Ironwood. I was hoping to check out the Bayfield area but another time perhaps.

Asland/Bayfield area is awesome. One of our favorite area's. A lot of history in Ashland. Most of the big ore docks are gone now. Clam lake to Mellen, on east is nice too.

rudygr45

On 1/24/17, Tried to get to Mellen from Island Lake but trail 1 in Ashland Co is plowed with a lot a lot of dirt showing. Any other way to get from Iron Co WI to Mellen, WI?

ICT Sledder

Always wanted to try Bayfield County, but IIRC there's oddly no on-trail lodging available. Maybe that has changed.

I know for sure some years back I tried to put a trip together for BC, and couldn't find a single on-trail place to stay. My riding partner is my 77 y/o Dad, so dealing with a trailer unload/load everyday is no bueno.

old abe

Always wanted to try Bayfield County, but IIRC there's oddly no on-trail lodging available. Maybe that has changed.

I know for sure some years back I tried to put a trip together for BC, and couldn't find a single on-trail place to stay. My riding partner is my 77 y/o Dad, so dealing with a trailer unload/load everyday is no bueno.

Ashland, Iron River, Bayfield, Brule?????????????? No lodging?????????? It's been 20 years ago when we last rode there.

woodside

Huh?

Try Washburn, Iron River, Valhalla View, and Bayfield (although access in/out of town can be a challenge.)

candyman

I know Woodside, I said the same thing HUH? What about the Cable/Lake Namekagon/Drummond Area? Did they move the County line or are they still in Bayfield County???