Ashland County Trails

Switchback8

Just got back from a stay in Hayward and yesterday spent time on Trail 25 south of Clam Lake and it was in the worst condition I have ridden in a long time. Somebody needs to address these conditions. Doesn't look like they have been groomed tis year!!

SledTL

Just got back from a stay in Hayward and yesterday spent time on Trail 25 south of Clam Lake and it was in the worst condition I have ridden in a long time. Somebody needs to address these conditions. Doesn't look like they have been groomed tis year!!
Can't speak for this exact spot or club, but many areas in the NW portion of the state and over into MN have not been able to take groomers out into the swamps. Way too much snow and not enough cold to support the weight of them. Sure its not fun to ride on, but have to be a little understanding with the way things are going this season....

Switchback8

Thanks for the reply but I certainly understand all of that as I have been an active rider and involved with club maintenance and grooming for 53 years and this trail is on good solid ground and had minor tree issues and looked as though it was simply neglected. Hope it gets groomed so people can enjoy it as it is a great trail.

wisco-mb

According to gts trails it was groomed less than 24hrs ago. Maybe with all the tree clearing needed, it was one of the last ones to get cleaned, and groomed? Contemplating taking it today.
I believe there are some pretty good ruts on that section, but should be enough snow to fill it in this year. I think south of 25/40 intersection has good amount of rocks.

Walle31

Was on the same trail. It was awful. Trees down & not groomed Contacted the club and was given the run around. They blamed it on Sawyer county and told us they would contact them. Then when we question that they told us the trail had been groomed and that there were no trees down on their section of trail. A lie. Last we heard they were going out there on Monday at 10. At 12 they sent sent a Facebook message saying the trail was cleared. Didn't go back to check but there is no way that trail was groomed and cleared in two hours. Not the first time I've been on that trail and wished I had not been. I will never find out again. Staying clear of that area.

wisco-mb

Sorry to hear. I know they've had a very difficult time cleaning up this year. Only so many volunteers...
Happy to report that trail was a 9/10 today. I could see it being rough if not groomed since a 34 mile commitment.
I could see a lot of fresh cut trees. One area I couldn't believe they got the groomer through.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1046447197.jpg
    Snapchat-1046447197.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
Sorry to hear. I know they've had a very difficult time cleaning up this year. Only so many volunteers...
Happy to report that trail was a 9/10 today. I could see it being rough if not groomed since a 34 mile commitment.
I could see a lot of fresh cut trees. One area I couldn't believe they got the groomer through.
Maybe they are just never that good in Ashland County! Rode over there from Lando end of last Feb. Just me and my son, middle of the week. Their trails were the worst we rode all season.......Vilas and Iron county were great the same week...WHY? This has been going on for years now, its like they just don't care about their trails...won't be back unless we have to ride THROUGH on a saddlebag trip. EVERY CLUB HAS VOLUNTEER ISSUES..CLEANUP ISSUES....GROOMING ISSUES YOU GET OVER IT AND DO BETTEER!!!!

wisco-mb

I rode Ashland on Monday and Tuesday. Left Lakewoods on Monday and went North to Ashland. The only rough section was a small section between Sanborn and Marengo. Freshly groomed all the way to Ashland.
Tuesday looped from Lakewoods east to Glidden. Park Falls and west on Tuscobia. All groomed, flat trails.
Fantastic conditions, and clubs did a great job! It was my first time riding some of those. I had never been on them, and I wanted some new scenery. Some of my trail choices were based on the GTS grooming app where I can see what's been groomed. That definitely helped!

Sorry to hear about your rough conditions in the past. I can't speak for the past or club members. I know the December snowstorm with the heavy snow was not a normal event, talking with some locals and volunteers that helped.

I see you're from Wautoma. Has your club had any contact with Corey or Doug S from Neshkoro EZ riders? They've been MIA for our county meetings all year. Running out of volunteers there. Pit grunt(Jeff) from Dootalk was showing up last year for them, but haven't talked to him this year either.

goofy600

Maybe they are just never that good in Ashland County! Rode over there from Lando end of last Feb. Just me and my son, middle of the week. Their trails were the worst we rode all season.......Vilas and Iron county were great the same week...WHY? This has been going on for years now, its like they just don't care about their trails...won't be back unless we have to ride THROUGH on a saddlebag trip. EVERY CLUB HAS VOLUNTEER ISSUES..CLEANUP ISSUES....GROOMING ISSUES YOU GET OVER IT AND DO BETTEER!!!!
You can always volunteer to go there help them and show them how to do better, I’m sure they would appreciate the help and instruction.

how many clubs does one have to join and work in to get people interested in having their own good trails? Sorry been on Ashland County trails three times over the last ten years.........THEY ARE NOT GOOD! My son even asked "why are the trails so much better in Iron County" I told him that obviously they cared more about their trails......from the mouths of babes! Seems to me that you ride alot where I do Land o' Lakes does an excellent job and the last 2 years so has Watersmeet. How nice is that..eh?!

wisco-mb

I don't really feel 3 times in 10 years is a good sample size. That's your opinion though.
I'm not one to make club excuses, but Iron always has consistent snow(more LES) then Ashland, and probably more volunteers.

So I guess you do not know anyone from Neskoro club?

tnehlsen

last weekend we rode Ashland County trails west of the Flowage, they were the best I have ever seen them in past 3 years. One rough spot through logging area, but the rest was flat and fun. Was not the case last year so pleasantly surprised.