Atving in the Black Hills

IOWASLEDDER

I have a group of 6 that’s put me in charge of planning a trip to the Black Hills for a week of riding our side by sides. I’ve been to Wyoming and Colorado and the U.P. and Wisconsin numerous times but never the Black Hills. To anyone that’s been riding atvs/side by sides, which town is a good place to stay for a week of riding?? I’ve looked at maps online and can’t come to a conclusion so I’m reaching out for help. We like trail riding and rock crawling. Please help! Thanks!

LakeVilla

I have a group of 6 that’s put me in charge of planning a trip to the Black Hills for a week of riding our side by sides. I’ve been to Wyoming and Colorado and the U.P. and Wisconsin numerous times but never the Black Hills. To anyone that’s been riding atvs/side by sides, which town is a good place to stay for a week of riding?? I’ve looked at maps online and can’t come to a conclusion so I’m reaching out for help. We like trail riding and rock crawling. Please help! Thanks!
We have stayed at Spearfish Canyon Lodge when we go snowmobiling. You might want to contact them if SxS are allowed. Great place and location. Trails are right out the door. Good Luck. www.spfcanyon.com; phone 1-877-975-6343

pclark

We have stayed at Spearfish Canyon Lodge when we go snowmobiling. You might want to contact them if SxS are allowed. Great place and location. Trails are right out the door. Good Luck. www.spfcanyon.com; phone 1-877-975-6343
Spearfish Canyon is a beautiful area, I happened to be out their for some business a few years ago and was taken by it's beauty.

warner

are you guys camping? If not try the mountain meadows lodge located by Deerfield lake.http://www.mtmeadow.com/
I have extensive knowledge of this area on 4 wheelers and UTV's as i have been going out there since 1998 hunting and wheeling.
If your camping check out ditch creek campground for an awesome off the grid camping experience.
we were just there again back in June for 10 days.

ICT Sledder

On-trail lodging in the Black Hills is super limited. Plenty of places to stay in Deadwood/Lead, but you will be riding forever until you get to the good stuff, especially in a slower UTV/ATV.

Look into...

Mystic Hills
Recreational Springs Resort
Trailshead Lodge

...and as other have already mentioned...

Mountain Meadows
Spearfish Canyon Lodge

But none of the above is in town, or even close.

My favorite is Mystic Hills. Have stayed there many times. Good food at the lodge, and nice cabins.

It is an awesome place for a sled trip too, but snow coverage can disappear as fast as it arrives. Can't really plan a trip there weeks and weeks out.

Last edited:

IOWASLEDDER

We are not camping. Our side by sides are 64" or a bit wider. So looks like "trails" are limited for us as most are either 50" or 62" and mainly forest roads we are able ride. I don't know how much fun that would be as I'm sure they are not overly technical. Which is fine. But the above mentioned places stated above i'm looking into. So thanks for those recommendations. We are just looking for a place that we can ride from everyday and go different directions if possible everyday.

renegade

Nemo was much better for sxs then the spearfish area was. We only found roads in spearfish area. They definitely had campers there. Nemo guest ranch the place was called. You can also you tube search extreme sxs black hills and maybe find out where some of the rock crawling places are. I have seen some and one in particular really sticks out, I believe it was a dried up rocky stream bed.