Avalanche Bag

9287jake

Looking to buy a new good avalanche bag. Not sure where to start. Currently use just a klim backpack but it's time to get a good avalanche bag. Was looking at the BCA bags and ABS bags. Not sure in the difference, is it all in just the size?

polarisrider1

Looking to buy a new good avalanche bag. Not sure where to start. Currently use just a klim backpack but it's time to get a good avalanche bag. Was looking at the BCA bags and ABS bags. Not sure in the difference, is it all in just the size?

I have a bca 22 for sale with a air tank that's full ready to go. $350 plus shipping

carter

Before you buy, ask this......do you use it as a pack as well. That will help you decide on size......what do you normally carry in a pack?? Also, the 2 types are air and nitrogen air is an easy refill....nitrogen is a trigger replace and a bottle refill, at around $100 a pop....Klim has a new bag with a built in fan that eliminates the bottle refill thing, and its up at around $1400. Polarisrider's bag is a good one...had that one on my back for 5 years.......if you go used just do the blow up test, or ask the owner to do it prior to purchase.....the idea that you are going to a bag is the bomb and I thank ypou for that.....

cuzzinolaf

I have the BCA 30 and it is nice, comfy, and can carry a decent amount of yard tools. I like it because you can fill the canister and any scuba shop or paint ball place. I think the only downside I was able to find when researching it is that it is one solid bag and not two separate bags like the ABS.

polarisrider1

It's orange in color and it's the throttle 22. I will have to deflate canister to ship. Looking at avy vests. Pics don't work from my phone on here and the free app is not free and don't work either on my droid??? So Google bca throttle 22 and it will give a pic of exactly what it is.

willey

It's orange in color and it's the throttle 22. I will have to deflate canister to ship. Looking at avy vests. Pics don't work from my phone on here and the free app is not free and don't work either on my droid??? So Google bca throttle 22 and it will give a pic of exactly what it is.
$350 is a darn good price. My opinion is go with the smallest pack or vest you can and keep your gear on you sled in tunnel packs and carry alls, except for your shovel snd probe of course. The less weight you are carrying on your body the better. Less fatigue and greater maneuverability while riding in the mountains. I like BCA's mountain pro vest and hope to give one a shot this winter!

Last edited:

srt20

I have the BCA turbo 25. Little bigger than the float 22. I can fit everything I need easily. I'm sure the 22 would be plenty big.

Klim/Pieps Jetbag is battery operated fan. IMO it sounds like a good idea. The bad part about it is, it is made by Black Diamond. The CEO of Black Diamond is a HUGE anti motorsports greenie. Black Diamond donates a lot of money to the Sierra Club, etc. Black Diamond, and the Sierra Club want only skiers to use the land. No snowmobiles. Just a FYI

srxsrule

I strongly suggest taking a good look at all of the airbag Vest options on the market. They are so much more comfortable then the packs. They carry the weight on your body very well. Eric