Avalanche Warning for Keweenaw County!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Special Weather Statement from the Keweenaw County Avalanche Center - Allouez Township
March 1, 2012

AVALANCHE WARNING:

A recent storm cycle has deposited over 36" of snow in much of Keweenaw County in the past 10 days. The new snow lies upon a weak layer of snow caused by freeze-thaw cycles earlier in February.

Skier and riders have the ability to trigger hard slab avalanches of up to 3 feet in depth on north and northwest facing slopes. The avalanches have the ability to cause severe damage and death to any person caught in them.

Extreme caution should be exercised when traveling in avalanche country. Travel is not recommended on slopes of greater than 30 degrees and proper route planning should be exercised.

New snows of 3-6" will further destabilize the snowpack starting later Friday and continuing into the weekend.

J. Dee
Lead Avalanche Forecaster
Keweenaw County Avalanche Center

(ok, so maybe I have too much time on my hands this morning, but if we had any hills without trees all over them, this would all be true!)

radsrh

I would have thought you would be getting ready for the trip out west? Way too much time on your hands ;)

cooksend

I love it! I bet we could find a few places that would slide if provoked! Time to strap on the beacon or ABS pack and tear up the Yoop! Well maybe not but what a thought!

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Special Weather Statement from the Keweenaw County Avalanche Center - Allouez Township
March 1, 2012

AVALANCHE WARNING:

A recent storm cycle has deposited over 36" of snow in much of Keweenaw County in the past 10 days. The new snow lies upon a weak layer of snow caused by freeze-thaw cycles earlier in February.

Skier and riders have the ability to trigger hard slab avalanches of up to 3 feet in depth on north and northwest facing slopes. The avalanches have the ability to cause severe damage and death to any person caught in them.

Extreme caution should be exercised when traveling in avalanche country. Travel is not recommended on slopes of greater than 30 degrees and proper route planning should be exercised.

New snows of 3-6" will further destabilize the snowpack starting later Friday and continuing into the weekend.

J. Dee
Lead Avalanche Forecaster
Keweenaw County Avalanche Center

(ok, so maybe I have too much time on my hands this morning, but if we had any hills without trees all over them, this would all be true!)

That is some funny chit right there! :)

polarisrider1

Had me hooked to the very end. Keweenaw County Avalanche Center gave it away. lol But ya never know what the Government and all their agencies can dream up. Thought maybe you got a big office with year round air conditioning for taking the position. Good one John!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Had me hooked to the very end. Keweenaw County Avalanche Center gave it away. lol But ya never know what the Government and all their agencies can dream up. Thought maybe you got a big office with year round air conditioning for taking the position. Good one John!

A contract with the government, now that would be nice! One can dream I guess.

Back to the grind.

-John

D

Deleted member 10829

Still have a journal coming today John? Have a great time out west and can't wait to hear about it!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Still have a journal coming today John? Have a great time out west and can't wait to hear about it!

I will be putting it out tomorrow. I might write some this afternoon, but want to include the CopperDog 150 events from tonight in the journal, so will be putting it out tomorrow night. For sure there will be one before I head out west.

-John