Awning Ideas

Swampy

I have a 2003 Antiqua Hybrid with a 12' slide out. Unless I have it tilted up and out from the slide out, when it rains, it leaks BAD!!
Looking into putting an awning over it. Looked at a couple websites quick. Don't know what shipping would be on something that big. Does anybody know a good site or even a good place to get one from in the Northwoods? And wondering if anyone has installed one on there own? I'm pretty sure I can handle it but would it be in my best interest to have it done professionally? Thanks

srt20

I would find out where and why it's leaking and fix it. Maybe the rubber seal is just folded over. Awnings aren't cheap and the top of the slide will still get wet. I have a slide topper on a slide, it's kinda nice, but you still have to clean on top of the slide. Leaves and crap will get in there.

Btw I would think Kings campers in Wausau could easily get that for you. They might even have your size in stock. But like I said, I would fix the problem first. It might be way easier and cheaper than buying an awning to patch or mask a problem.

Swampy

I should probly get a new rubber seal. When I Put the slide out I have to make sure that the flap rolls over otherwise is stays folded inside. If I have the camper level, water will pool and sit on top of the slide. Just figured it was a design flaw.

Was looking for a little cheaper way than Kings Campers. lol

srt20

try using Aerospace 303 on the rubber seal. alot of campers like the stuff for slideout seals.

I have a seasonal site near Antigo, and everybody (pretty much all seasonals) leave their slideouts out from spring to fall. Nobody complains about water leaking in, they dont have slide toppers. Water does pool up and sit on my slide topper until it evaporates or I close the slide.

I have seen some pics online of some people building a hard awning over the slide. 4 poles to the ground, attach the awning to the camper and the poles. Seems excessive to me, but if you have leak issues that are hard to resolve, that might work. Be helluva lot cheaper than a new slideout topper, but might look a little redneck if that bothers you.

Ive never dealt with any of the camper dealers in the north. Just heard the names. We have a camping world down here by madison. Usually I try to order stuff online, unless Im in a hurry for a part.

Swampy

I ended up caulking the inside angle of the slideout while I was waiting for my new awning to arrive. It may have been the problem but I would rather be safe. I ordered a Carefree Slideout Kover II online for around $450 and payed $28 for shipping. Couldn't believe the shipping! The thing was over 12 ft long and about 8 inches around. The delivery guy even brought it around the back of the house and set it next to the camper. It was fairly easy to install. All I needed was someone to hold the other end while I threaded the awning into the track and wahlah. Works like a charm. I haven't had a leaf on top of the slideout yet. I guess we'll see what happens in the fall.