back up plan

momoney2123

Is there any good trail systems out west incase the midwest is snowless after christmas? Was thinking black hills, but looks like its gona be warm there too. Any reccomendations?

hudson056

great question, Ive been wondering also.... I hope it gets cold soon, I really dont want to end up going south to a beach!

willey

West Yellowstone and island park area are probably one of the best. Lots of info on them on web.

fireworks

West Yellowstone has a good trail system. Hotel rates are good. Pools, IMAX theater and museum for the family. Although, they are experiencing the same warm up as us now.

We threw in the towel for early season. We are heading to Cozumel on Saturday for a week of scuba diving. Hopefully, when we get back cold weather and snow will return.

frosty

I'm right there with ya fireworks! Hooping on a big boat at the end of the week. Hope to come back to more seasonable weather.

I remember about 2 or 3 years ago, good snow didn't show up till late January and didn't give up till almost the end of April.

polarisrider1

IP/West Yellowstone is like going to Disney world but your sledding. Can't get lost. Well if you get over by the Sheep cloning station you may disappear. Kegs Creek rocks!

Last edited:

momoney2123

Has anyone been to the snowies out of laramie?

Me and few buds are off work between christmas and new years. We all have new sleds and are dieing to ride. If midwest doesnt allow we may drive west. Given we have 2 shortys and a 137 gona need a trail system. Says they have 300 and some odd miles of trail there. Dont look like theres a ton of snow on webcams either but if they get it. What you guys think? Worth the trip?

srt20

A studded trail sled would do great in the snowies right now. They have a big layer of ice on everything. I watched a vid of a snowbike and a longtrack doing donuts on the snow.

I haven't been on all the snowies trails, just use the trail to get to play areas, but IMO the trails there suck compared to midwest trails. Not groomed much. But I've only ever ridden 156" and longer out there. And my longtracks ride terrible on trails.

I had my 136" in west yellowstone a couple years ago when my wife went along. Those trails are a lot closer to midwest type trails. No problems for short trackers.

Never been to black hills, and don't waste time going to Cooke city trail riding.

snoluver1

The snowies has a fantastic trail system. Unfortunately, ever since the state took over grooming operations, it has been spotty at best. There are many trails there that are never groomed at all, but those are also clearly marked as non groomed on the trail maps. At one time the trails that were groomed were groomed to perfection almost daily. Since the state took over, it's once a week maybe. It all depends on timing and traffic, how good the trails are.

600_RMK_144

Is there any good trail systems out west incase the midwest is snowless after christmas? Was thinking black hills, but looks like its gona be warm there too. Any reccomendations?

B. Hills trail system is one of the best in the country. As far as snow, only time will tell. A wise man (local cabin owner) once told me that you can't go by the weather forecast, you gotta call!!!! The elevation change makes more of a difference than you could ever imagine. 3 yrs ago, bare ground to a dusting at most in town, then we got up at elevation and the biggest flakes I've ever seen. Over 2 ft dumped while we were there. Back down on the way home and bare ground again.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - John did have that dump in his forecast. We had been waiting and waiting and waiting. Loaded up when we saw his forecast. Man, did he ever nail it. My point being, John does cover that areas forecast as well, maybe not as closely as UP, but if it's a good storm, he'll have it covered.

Hoosier

Has anyone been to the snowies out of laramie?

Me and few buds are off work between christmas and new years. We all have new sleds and are dieing to ride. If midwest doesnt allow we may drive west. Given we have 2 shortys and a 137 gona need a trail system. Says they have 300 and some odd miles of trail there. Dont look like theres a ton of snow on webcams either but if they get it. What you guys think? Worth the trip?

We did this a few years back with trail sleds. Had a blast. Wished we had longer tracks but still had fun. There are quite a bit of trails and tons of play areas that you can do with shorties. Just have to use common sense as to what you get yourself into to make sure you can get out. We would do it again if we still have short tracks and the midwest is dry

momoney2123

Cool guys thanks for the advice. Looks like one of those 2 places will be the destination if the north wisc and UP dont pull thru. If we go to laramie, where would you guys stay? I found a place called albany lodge, looks pretty nice. Just hope we will be able to book last minute rooms.

carter

Allow me to add the Togwotee trail system is over 600 miles of it. right know the crew is working hard and I'll bet all the trails will be in by Christmas. And we send groomers out every nite.

momoney2123

Thanks carter, my options at this point are wide open. Ideally we would like to drive to closest possible place, but if its that much better snow and trails, ears are open. If anyone else has advice. Do share.

willey

I believe the fueling options in the snowies are few and far between. Something to think about when looking at western trail riding locations. Not a huge concern for mountain riders. Rarely do we burn a whole tank in a day.

600_RMK_144

Allow me to add the Togwotee trail system is over 600 miles of it. right know the crew is working hard and I'll bet all the trails will be in by Christmas. And we send groomers out every nite.
Wow! That's a lot of miles. B. Hills has 350 and I thought that was good.

momoney2123

I believe the fueling options in the snowies are few and far between. Something to think about when looking at western trail riding locations. Not a huge concern for mountain riders. Rarely do we burn a whole tank in a day.

Yea thats a good point. I was thinking about that. Ideally first day we will hire a guide if one is available, if not probably stay close until we get a lay of the land.

I second the togwotee area for trail riding!If your heading west it would be worth the extra drive to go to that area.you could get rooms in dubois and trailer up short distance to trails and save a few bucks.you wont regret it!

snowho96

The northern big horns has nice trails that are groomed well.the groomers are based out of bear lodge. Have rode the snowies quite a bit and the trails are groomed better from the west(Saratoga) side imo. The place, medicine bow lodge,the rondavue and ten mile inn are places to stay there.