BackPack Trip Help

billyclub

We’re planning our annual snowmobile trip to the UP, 3rd of February. We always end up renting a cabin for a week somewhere in central UP area. Then exploring that immediate area and beyond, but have always returned to base sometime within a 24hr period. This time since no wives are going :), we’ve decided to venture out and run a four day backpack trip. I’ve searched through other posting and found some suggestions on how many miles you can average and having numbers in advance of hotel/motels along our destination. We’ll be starting off in Rexton, heading NW, thinking our first stop would be Munising or even Marquette. Is it possible to reach Keweenaw and back? Our level of riding I would say is above average “of your seasonal tourist”. We can push a 24hr ride if need to be, it wouldn’t be our first. Even though I do not live in MI since I was 21 because of carrier. We still visit family and friends for every seasonal sport and adventure there is to offer from our beautiful state of Michigan!!

We have extent knowledge of the trail system, but I just can’t seem to draft up a route. So if any of you have suggestions of routes we should take, I am all ears...or in this case..all eyes.

Thnx

luke_duke

I remember leaving from munising one year and told myself if I did it again I would start a little further west like Michigamee or ishpeming. Just my .02

snojunkie

We usually wait until it gets closer to the time before we plan all the details, because if you plan it out and the snowfall doesn't cooperate you have to cancel everything and rebook somewhere else. Also I always carry an issue of Snowtouring magazine with me, it breaks up Wi. and the UP by counties and lists lodging etc. for each of those areas. Once we pick an area we take off and around mid afternoon we'll look at a map and decide about how far we want to go, we get out the magazine call a hotel and make a reservation. It hasn't failed us yet and we usually backpack for 4 or 5 days a year. We usually average at least 200 miles a day min.