Backpack trip

limey

The most amazing thing is you do that many miles with 7 guys. We have been to all the places you talk about but 330 miles is our record for one day. We have found 4 guys to be a good number for us. A couple things we do differently is we always stay one night in Copper Harbor, we all love it up there and it has become kind of a tradition. We always start on Saturday with only a few miles less than 100 and take off on Sunday and come home on Thursday. We like to avoid the weekend traffic and bumps. Although we have done Hurley on a Saturday night and that was a good time.
Do you guys reserve hotels in advance? Do all of you have newer sleds? Do any of you rent? Do you kitty everything?
I have a group of guys and we do a cross U.P. ride every January. Like you, we keep the group to 6 riders as any more than this causes logistical problems and often times makes the daily rides take longer.

We also always start on a Sunday and finish Thursday evening. We all meet up on Saturday and ride about 150 miles as a tune-up. Yes we reserve all hotels in advance. People will tell you this isn't necessary but I don't like to chance it.

We all pack a single bag and strap it on the back of our sleds. We all ride newer 4-strokes from either Yamaha or Ski-Doo.

Our legs this year are as follows:
day 1: Mercer to Munising, 300 miles
day 2: Munising to Brimley, 250 miles
day 3: Brimley to Ishpeming, 265 miles
day 4: Ishpeming to Copper Harbor, 240-280 miles depending if Portage Lake is frozen
day 5: Copper Harbor to Mercer, 275 miles and we take an indirect route

I have a full itinerary with detailed daily mileage. If interested, drop me a PM.

Last edited: