Backpacking trip from Iron River and to Newberry

billjd

We are attempting this backpacking trip Wednesday Jan. 4th. Anyone have any input? Places to see? Trail reports from any of those areas over the weekend? Been going to the UP for twenty years but never East of Marquette.

Thanks much!

Last edited:

improved700

Great area to ride.
I have ridden there a couple times.

For sure you need to check out Tahquamenon Falls.
Fantastic views. Good restaurant close by.

White Fish Point light house is another cool sport.
Grand Maris, Pictured Rocks, and don't forget Big Spring, west of Manistique.

Good luck and ride safe!
Kev

xpr800

I hope you have enough snow to leave from over there this week, As a few other guys said, Big Springs, Miners Castle & the Tahquamenon Falls are a must see, I will be there this week too but will probably stay in the snow belt area's, Have fun & ride safe. PS If you use the Newberry ally trail, do the speed limit & stop signs!

sr22ger

15 was not groomed as of late yesterday north of Perch lake. Doesn't look like a groomer even took a crack at it at all this year from what we saw. Not sure why, plenty of snow. Somebody was saying something about logging, but we didn't see where it would have impacted the trail. Did see that the trail was groomed where it crossed gibbs city road a bit further south though. 8/15 north from Sidnaw was awesome on 12/31. We did both 159 (I think that was the number, two routes from Sidnaw to Baraga, this was the left one) and 15. Both were really good, except for a section of 159 that wasn't groomed close to Baraga. 14 to Big Bay was really nice as well, we went about as far as the turn off for Mt Arvon. Overall, great conditions and really low traffic, which isn't too different than usual for that area most times of the year to be honest. 8 looked groomed and flat going out of the 15 junction as well if you were to take that route.

I must admit, 2 by the town hall in Iron River looked kick *** though, you may want to take that route. I don't know how much snow they have to the east of that area, but it looked really good at the Gibbs City road crossing both on 12/30 and 1/2 dates.

Sidnaw station needs to work on their service. Great lady who owns it, new Uper originally from Appleton WI, but we came in twice over the weekend and waited 5-10 minutes both times to even get asked if we needed something. I'm not saying not to stop there when you are heading through, but between the 3.89 gas and not great service, it might be worth heading to the next town. Hilltop in L'anse was awesome, good service and great food. Gas in L'anse was in the 2.80 range for premium. Didn't check on premium in Iron River, but reg was 2.59. Don't plan on getting passes at the IGA there either, none of the three people on staff knew how to use the computer to get it. Holiday there had no issues with the passes. I do remember the gas station on the trail in Caspian also does passes.

Last edited:

sjb

Sidnaw station needs to work on their service. Great lady who owns it, new Uper originally from Appleton WI, but we came in twice over the weekend and waited 5-10 minutes both times to even get asked if we needed something. I'm not saying not to stop there when you are heading through, but between the 3.89 gas and not great service, it might be worth heading to the next town. Hilltop in L'anse was awesome, good service and great food. Gas in L'anse was in the 2.80 range for premium. Didn't check on premium in Iron River, but reg was 2.59. Don't plan on getting passes at the IGA there either, none of the three people on staff new how to use the computer to get it. Holiday there had no issues with the passes. I do remember the gas station on the trail in Caspian also does passes.

That is interesting you state that. I have had nothing but great service there - but have not been up to sindaw yet this year. We have even called ahead to have a pizza ready when we arrived. She has been nothing but great to our crew. And I don't know her other than sledding. Maybe just working the bugs out for the start of the year.