Barron and Rusk Counties

moose822

Anyone have any information on the trail conditions in Barron (Chetek, Rice Lake) and Rusk counties? Thinking of heading up to the cabin in Chetek next weekend and want to make sure they are rideable.

Thanks!

groomerdriver

I live and ride in the areas you mention. Rode both Friday and yesterday. There is more snow the farther west you go. Barron, Turtle Lake, Clear Lake, etc. More snow in the Blue Hills area north of Weyerhaueser. Some of the cut corn fields in all will have some rocks but it's nothing that stopped us....just slow down.

Bottom line = bring 'em with! PM me if you want more details.

oktaneho

How did the trails fare after that warm up last weekend?

Thinking of heading to Barron, Rusk, or Washburn county tomorrow for a day ride.

groomerdriver

Some better than others. Some areas (by me) got as much as 5" of snow on Monday while others (Weyerhaueser) for 1.5".

I would either start in Rice Lake and head north and east or Spooner.

PM me if you're looking for somebody to ride with.

moose822

The trails were very good over the weekend. There were hard packed and could use some fresh snow on top but had as good of a base as I have seen in the last few years. Hopefully they can withstand the warm up and then receive some more snow. Hoping to get up there the weekend after next.

groomerdriver

There's not much of a base....maybe it looks that way but in reality....not much at all.

Rain will kill us as well as temps in the upper 30's. Sun? = I hope it stays behind the clouds!

greggk

Has anyone rode from Hawking to Connor Lake? typically a great ride but heard that they may not be grooming north of the warming shelter toward connor lake. hoping the rain holds off and we can ride this weekend.

groomerdriver

Barron Cty trails are closing on Thursday Feb. 18th at 3 PM. Going to try to save the base! Hopefully more cold and snow will come!

No word on Rusk Cty. yet.