Bayfield/Valhalla area

woodside

After the last few snowfalls. we have 12"+ of good quality snow. We have been riding the forest roads mostly. There are lots of downed trees and sagging branches yet to clear on the trails and FR's and the grooming and crew are working to clear them. So the trails are in poor to fair shape and its definitely still early Winter conditions. FR's better but watch for the tree and ruts hazards from the 4x4 trucks.

Sled traffic is light.

Will be riding again today with our cottage guests. www.woodsidecottages.com

cmharcou

We rode with Gary and Richard the past
Few days. I can't thank them enough for their hospitality. The fire roads and log roads were excellent in my opinion. The trails not so much. As long as you ride with Richard you will find good snow. I have lots of pictures of trail conditions if anyone wants me to e-mail them. Valhalla restaurant was real good food and has gas on site. My phone is not letting me upload them. Troop6776@tds.net
Where else can you stay and have a guide?

Thanks again Woodside!

fireworks

A friend not on JD text me this pic from yesterday. West of Pub and Grub 5 miles. Isolated snow pockets. FR's great. Trails not so much. But they still put on 190 miles in 2 days.
VZM.IMG_20160103_075638.jpg

cmharcou

I've got several pictures from our ride this week. I can't get them to upload even after re-sizing and switching from google chrome to IE. Anyone want to upload them for me?

bcorn

There is plenty of snow around Valhalla area, people need to realize the closer they get to the lake the less snow there is because the lake is still so warm the snow around Bayfield is marginal. The good snow is in the higher elevations.I was out yesterday and the trails are in tough shape in places ruts ,mud holes and such not trying to be a Debbie downer just telling how it is.

fireworks

I've got several pictures from our ride this week. I can't get them to upload even after re-sizing and switching from google chrome to IE. Anyone want to upload them for me?
There is a thread onnhiw to change your settings. If you haven't done it already. Try it and uploading pics us easy.

cmharcou

IMG_0556.jpg IMG_0557.jpg IMG_0568.jpg IMG_0570.jpg IMG_0571.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And here is the one that made the whole trip worth it! I got my boys new arctic cats for Christmas. I found this written in the cabins journal at woodside before we left. My son never told me about it. IMG_0577.jpg

Stack

That's awesome. looks like a great time, and snow looks pretty good too. The letter is great, sounds like they had a blast!

We had a lot of fun in that area visiting the Ice Caves last year, also drove the Ice Road to Madeline Island; very cool area. Might have to do some snowmobiling there someday!

Happy New Year

-Stack

CM that note is awesome! Your boy will remember this trip for the rest of his life! I recall my first few rides as a boy with my pops like they were yesterday.

WisDoo

Sweeperguy that was My cabin you rode to, yellow red jacket is my dad and the guy you talked with is The owner, we deer hunt there I was not with.

Funny small world.

sweeperguy

Sweeperguy that was My cabin you rode to, yellow red jacket is my dad and the guy you talked with is The owner, we deer hunt there I was not with.

Funny small world.

Sorry for tracking up your entrance, we actually had a larger group than normal.
Lead was trying to follow GPS and resolution can be a little off sometimes. We ended up following them right in.
AWESOME spot, wish it were mine.
Pretty cool seeing it on video though, eh?

groomerdriver

Sorry for tracking up your entrance, we actually had a larger group than normal.
Lead was trying to follow GPS and resolution can be a little off sometimes. We ended up following them right in.
AWESOME spot, wish it were mine.
Pretty cool seeing it on video though, eh?

I was the lead guy and was watching for the "next right" (forest road) on my GPS. Thought your turn in was it. Once I was getting closer and was following a sled I sad to my self "this is NOT good"...then I saw the NO TRESSPASS sign and gate. REALLY NOT GOOD! Had full intentions of turning us around but we came into the yard.

I was scared to death that the big guy was going to pull a gun on us or something. All I could do was explain my stupidity, apologize and turn us around. I again extend my apologies!

woodside

IMG_3449.jpg IMG_3451.jpg IMG_3456.jpg

Finally able to post pics from our ride last weekend.

Still no grooming in the Bayfield/Valhalla area as groomers are still working on clearing the trails. They may get done by the end of the week. FR's are where the action is but lots of trees, branches hazards. The FR's have a good base that will hold up well.

I avoid TR1, 31N and TR51 west of Bayfield until we get colder weather and more snow for the groomer to work with. Also for trails going in/out of towns along the lake.

TR3 north of Iron River was smooth but getting very thin on Friday. Probably much worse now. The short stretch of Hwy 2 Corridor east of IR was good on Friday.

bcorn

I'll let everybody know what we get later this week, hopefully we get some lake effect out of the artic air coming down.

WisDoo

Yeah no worries,

It is a great spot spend many weekends there riding every year. I was really surprised watching the video thinking man looks like the driveway and then yep there is the gate. I thought maybe you rode with them that day as they went to get a fire going and then were hooking up with a bigger group.

Think Snow

Brad