Bayfield/Valhalla

woodside

Took our first ride today west and south of Valhalla with Candyman, owner of Woodside Cottages and bunch of old friends/riders staying there. We really enjoyed the FR's with 8-12" of fresh snow and an ice base from early December snow and recent melt. Its still "early" season riding and the only groomed trail we saw was TR13 from Washburn west to Valhalla. No rocks or major obstacles other than lots of low hangers with the weight of the heavy snow and some light rain earlier Thursday.

IMG_5565.JPG Disappointed to see all the plowed FR's to support all the logging going on. Its over the top!

Easy in/out to the PubNGrub.

Sorry for the duplicate

Forecast is for 3-5" Monday so conditions will improve.

Gary IMG_5565.JPG

woodside

6" here just west of Bayfield and could be more in the Valhalla area. Will be riding Wednesday and expect up to 18+ or - " total snow depth. Forest Road riding will be very good and trails fair to good as there already is an ice base.

woodside

Northern Bayfield County has rideable snow even though below normal standards. My brother and 4-5 guests from Woodside Cotttages did 125 miles yesterday south to Iron river and in the Valhalla area. They are riding this morning as well.

I'm on the shelf due to hand surgery but I did ride Wednesday before having it done.

Most trails have been groomed (TR1 west of Bayfield the exception) and the forest roads have estimated 14-16" of snow. More coming Sunday into Monday.

candyman

Went for a Tuesday afternoon ride today with the boss from Woodside (Laura, my wife). Forest roads were best I've seen this year. Trails 31N.,19,1 (west of 31) and 31S of the Pub n Grub had been groomed.

improved700

Candyman.....
Brian and I wlll be making a trip back up to see you, Woodside Boss and Gary sometime real soon.
Gotta make up for last year!
See you soon bud!!!!!

Kev

candyman

Candyman.....
Brian and I wlll be making a trip back up to see you, Woodside Boss and Gary sometime real soon.
See you soon bud!!!!!

Kev

Heck ya! It'll be nice to meet Brian? Maybe this time Brian can come out and play in the snow with us? LOL

woodside

Candyman.....
See you soon bud!!!!!

Kev

The trip to Bayfield is always worth it. We normally have some of the best conditions in Wisconsin and the sled traffic is minimal compared to other places. That usually equates to better trail conditions and also a much safer place to ride.

The miles of Forest Roads give riders another options besides the trails, along with old logging roads/trails that are there for those, like us, who know how to find them.

We are fortunate to be able to ride here whenever we want.

woodside

Echo Candyman. Groomed trails have 6”-8” solid base, forest roads have more and 16”-18” snow depth. Below normal Winter conditions but I doubt few if any place in Wisconsin can match it. Drove to Duluth today and saw two sleds in Iron River and 5-6 on Bruce. Trails will hold up well

candyman

Echo Candyman. Groomed trails have 6”-8” solid base, forest roads have more and 16”-18” snow depth. Below normal Winter conditions but I doubt few if any place in Wisconsin can match it. Drove to Duluth today and saw two sleds in Iron River and 5-6 on Bruce. Trails will hold up well
If you want to see what things should look like up here, check out the (snow photo of the day) that's woodsides (Gary) sled buried in fresh powder. Nice!

woodside

This! It was a really fun day with constant over the windshield powder.

jan15-550x365.jpg

woodside

Candyman and I had a great time today west of Bayfield and Valhalla area pushing up to 8" fresh powder on lots of FR's and the trails we rode were very good with the fresh snow and a very solid base. Snow depth is up to 20". We saw just 5 sleds all day. More riding tomorrow even though it will be frigid.

Not sure there is any place in Wisconsin that can match these conditions ride2.jpg ride.jpg during this sparse Winter for snow.