Bearing removal

muskieswen

How do I check the bearing at the speedo? I had the speedo key break in half and I was told that this usually indicates a bad bearing. If I need to replace it, how is that done without opening the chaincase (I just filled it up with new oil).

98machz

you have no choice but to open the chain case,,, to pull the cog assembly... then you replace the bearing while the assembly is out...

alden

uncle_ed

Muskie, What kind of machine is it? On the polaris I have had in the past there are 3 bolts that hold a clam shell housing on either side of the bearing. When unbolted you remove the outer and slide the inner down the shaft and remove the bearing out the easy side. The reason the key usually breaks is the bearing is so worn that the shaft the key fits in moves off center and breaks the key. Look up inside the tunnel and see if the shaft appears off center or are you able to grab and move it back and forth?

elf

I've also changed a couple of bearings on POO's without having to pull the shaft. Loosen the track way up. pull off the secondary clutch take the bearing holder off, remove the old bearing and pound the new one on.Takes about 30 minutes.

tyeeman

Before you start pulling drive shafts and all that check the speedo gear, ya know that 90 degree angle thing that the speedo cable connects to that mates up to the drive shaft, , , I had a Polaris that I kept on breaking speedo keys, turns out that the 90 degree speedo gear thing was dry and tight. Replaced it with a used one and off I went, no more problem.

xcr800

I would take the time and pull the drive shaft out and replace the bearing. As Uncle ed stated thats how it comes out. The bearing on that side never really gets greased because its hard to get to. Some have a zerk fitting for greasing and others don't they have a small hole for a needle point attachment for grease gun to inject grease into it.The bearing you can get from Dennis Kirk part # 12-52 ORIGINAL BEARING # IS RA100NPPB this cost $12.95 if it goes out the chain usually breaks and the inner chain case is usually broken and has to be replaced.

uncle_ed

You will need to do a visual to verify what you need but if it is the bearing then like elf said, loosen the track way off, get the driven clutch out of the way (good time to inspect and go through that based on age, check ramps etc.) and then inspect or install new bearing.
119014.jpg

G

G

If it is a '93 and has never been changed it might be rusted together pretty tight. I believe Todd that it is possible to do this without breaking open the chaincase but that would be under really good conditions with the right tools and previous experience going for you. A '93 Pol is easy to work on compared to what we have now. There is a lot of room. Just plan on taking it all apart. If it is that old you may find something else wrong.