Bergland Bay Bar Trail Report

Tomstrailreport

Hello this is Tom formally of Bergland Bay Bar. I sold the bar last year but I started to do a trail report on my new web site. www.tomstrailreport.com Come see Mark from Timberline Sports and Me at the Lake Gogebic Chamber of Commerce booth this weekend.

blkhwkbob

After the disaster that was the Lake Gogebic area trail system for the past couple of years, what can you tell us about improvements for this year? There are a lot of snowmobilers that are done with the area. It is going to take a lot of effort to win them back, but I'm sure you're aware of this.

Tomstrailreport

After the disaster that was the Lake Gogebic area trail system for the past couple of years, what can you tell us about improvements for this year? There are a lot of snowmobilers that are done with the area. It is going to take a lot of effort to win them back, but I'm sure you're aware of this.

Believe me I know it better than all you snowmobilers that come up here a few times a year. I have my own ideas what happened. In a nut shell I would say we had older board members that got complacent. The older groomer drivers knew what had to be done and they did it. Fast forward a few years and the older drivers retire and we didn't have a good training program for newer people. I am not taking anything away from what the old board members did. They did amazing things threw the years. But times change and sometimes older people don't want to change. (we been doing it like this for 50 years!) The other side of the coin is other people (businesses too) did not get involved to help the club. This year all I can say is there are more people involved helping the club and they have some new blood giving it their best shot. I think you may see a change in our condition around Lake Gogebic. Mark from Timberline Sports is working with another guy developing an app called Groomer Tracker. It is still in development but you can download the android app. Apple is harder to do but in the works and will be ready before the season. It will show when the last time a trail has been groomed. With that said I can safely say people are trying to make Lake Gogebic Trails Great Again.

sweeperguy

Believe me I know it better than all you snowmobilers that come up here a few times a year. I have my own ideas what happened. In a nut shell I would say we had older board members that got complacent. The older groomer drivers knew what had to be done and they did it. Fast forward a few years and the older drivers retire and we didn't have a good training program for newer people. I am not taking anything away from what the old board members did. They did amazing things threw the years. But times change and sometimes older people don't want to change. (we been doing it like this for 50 years!) The other side of the coin is other people (businesses too) did not get involved to help the club. This year all I can say is there are more people involved helping the club and they have some new blood giving it their best shot. I think you may see a change in our condition around Lake Gogebic. Mark from Timberline Sports is working with another guy developing an app called Groomer Tracker. It is still in development but you can download the android app. Apple is harder to do but in the works and will be ready before the season. It will show when the last time a trail has been groomed. With that said I can safely say people are trying to make Lake Gogebic Trails Great Again.

THANKS that's good news as the area was great to ride, prior to the recent issues.
If things get back to how they were several years ago. There will be a lot of happy snowmobilers

POLARISDAN

thats great tom..but i would be concerned about an app that shows recent grooming..as those trails will get beaten right away..its better to let people find them..just my 2cents

- - - Updated - - -

THANKS that's good news as the area was great to ride, prior to the recent issues.
If things get back to how they were several years ago. There will be a lot of happy snowmobilers

stevo, what people dont realize about this area is the swamps, the traffic and the bad grooming all go hand in hand..less traffic, frozen earlier, and better grooming are a pipe dream..even with perfect grooming..the traffic kills this area if the swamps dont freeze..tough area..thats why we only visit..our boy mark stays here year after year..loves it but i cant figure out why...

slimcake

Ya we used to rent a house right on gogebic close to the lodge. Not anymore. Way to much traffic. WAY TO MUCH. Thanks for what you do Tom. I am sure I will be checking daily again this winter!

Tomstrailreport

thats great tom..but i would be concerned about an app that shows recent grooming..as those trails will get beaten right away..its better to let people find them..just my 2cents

- - - Updated - - -

stevo, what people dont realize about this area is the swamps, the traffic and the bad grooming all go hand in hand..less traffic, frozen earlier, and better grooming are a pipe dream..even with perfect grooming..the traffic kills this area if the swamps dont freeze..tough area..thats why we only visit..our boy mark stays here year after year..loves it but i cant figure out why...

Hey Dan, I hear what you are saying about recently groomed trails getting beat up. But I think it will keep pressure on the Groomers to be out there on the trails. Also yes we have traffic and swamps that add to our grooming problems, but we also have the Lake that takes a lot of traffic off of the trails. We have had problems the last 3-4 years, hopefully that is all behind us.

T

Tracker

dude...NO on the groomer app....only use for YOUR CLUB....unless...you can make other clubs use for some money...and sledders...they need to pay a fee to see that info like aboot an amount that equals or is twice as much as the trail sticker....watch the cheapazzes back pedal and complain aboot that one...but the facts are the ones that don't want any fees or stickers are THE WORST OFFENDERS when it comes to free and grooming and MY WAY....it will be taken advantage of in THE HIGHEST ORDER...plus...word to the wise from a rider that puts in 3000+ miles in that small area....if you take a grader over the trails or something to make all the dirt flat...RIGHT BEFORE it gets freezing and there will be no bike or ATV traffic till sleds.....you do that which I have suggested for other clubs and you will be so happy....the other clubs that do it now say its the best thing they ever did...just an FYI....me 2c

whitedust

Grooming schedules can be known if you make a few phone calls and ask. Certain trails get groomed on certain days in the UP when the conditions are good with plenty of snow and cold. You don't need an app just a bit of preriding homework. The problem with this if the area your want to ride does not list a club phone contact which can be a problem in Vilas with all the small clubs with 35 miles of trail and different schedules. The UP has much larger groom areas but can be a problem like 109 with TL doing a great job and Baraga not so good. IMO all in all take the good with the bad as long as more good than bad it is a good day on the trail.:)

whitedust

The app sounds ok but I think Tom has identified the main problem of his club same old same old slowly going down hill until grooming quality bottoms. I'm seeing the same problem in Vilas with a few clubs with old timers that NEED to try something new get younger or different blood involved that wants to do better. IMO Bergland has admitted they have a problem so again imo grooming will get better. The HUGE grooming problem is when a club will not admit they have a problem with grooming.. a what? where? what problem?... the circle jerk clubs. When I hear that I know grooming quality has not bottomed yet...lol. Please everyone get involved with a club attend a few meetings listen before you speak...at least that is my style then offer up constructive improvement ideas. Anybody can complain off the cuff which is aok but then do something positive regarding the problem at hand don't just complain that is no help at all.

POLARISDAN

The app sounds ok but I think Tom has identified the main problem of his club same old same old slowly going down hill until grooming quality bottoms. I'm seeing the same problem in Vilas with a few clubs with old timers that NEED to try something new get younger or different blood involved that wants to do better. IMO Bergland has admitted they have a problem so again imo grooming will get better. The HUGE grooming problem is when a club will not admit they have a problem with grooming.. a what? where? what problem?... the circle jerk clubs. When I hear that I know grooming quality has not bottomed yet...lol. Please everyone get involved with a club attend a few meetings listen before you speak...at least that is my style then offer up constructive improvement ideas. Anybody can complain off the cuff which is aok but then do something positive regarding the problem at hand don't just complain that is no help at all.

the solution still is pay to play..200$ trail passes..passes for each area with the money going to the clubs so we ultimately have PAID groomers..in this day in age volunteer is a thing of the past no matter what it involves..PAID GROOMERS MEANS GROOMING..so sick of this whole thing..one round of golf..one afternoon costs more than a WHOLE SEASON of snowmobiling..IT MAKES ME SICK

snobuilder

the solution still is pay to play..200$ trail passes..passes for each area with the money going to the clubs so we ultimately have PAID groomers..in this day in age volunteer is a thing of the past no matter what it involves..PAID GROOMERS MEANS GROOMING..so sick of this whole thing..one round of golf..one afternoon costs more than a WHOLE SEASON of snowmobiling..IT MAKES ME SICK

Get well soon, mr. moneybags!

durphee

Thanks for the update Tom, I really enjoy the Bergland area and hope the trails get back to what they could be.

whitedust

WI pays groomers and trails can be very bad...That's not it.... more of how the grooming is managed and dispatched. Think trail boss and what and how he does things...that's where it happens. PD go to some club meetings and listen then offer suggestions.

POLARISDAN

Get well soon, mr. moneybags!

u just paid 9 bucks for a lousy drink..really 50 bucks for a year of riding..ur joking right

- - - Updated - - -

a night at the movies..75 bucks
a night of bowling 100 bucks
a day at the amusement park 300 bucks
a night at the bar 150 bucks
a decent dinner 100 bucks
a meal at burger king for family 30 bucks
a day at the ballpark 400 bucks

are u kidding me..sledding is way underpriced and that is the price we pay for all these problems

dont care about the whiners that drive 80k trucks drive 15k sleds that

oh i have to pay for 4 freaking trail passses

give me a freakin break