Bessember to Copper Harbor

ryanslyne

Bessemer to Copper Harbor

I will be up next week doing a trip from Bessemer to Copper Harbor. Does anyone know what the conditions are like on trail 8 headed from Bessemer to Bergland. It looks like it has been pretty lousy but may be getting better now. I know once we get north of Bergland it should get much better. Just getting there is what I am worried about. Anyone been through trail 8 as of late from Ironwood or Bessemer?

Thanks

RS

Last edited:

jedoyle

I think bonnevier has the ticket -> #2 to #1 & jump on the lake at Gogebic Lodge. You can be up to Bergland in no time & stop at The Hoop or BBB.

bonnevier

This from the Gogebic Area Grooming Facebook page:

Didn’t ride much today but this is corridor trail (1&8) just above Bergland holding up well but lots of traffic by noon today - also trail 1 groomed to White Pine - very good and trail 1 to Marenisco groomed this am - my understanding is trail 102 will be groomed tonight. A reminder our groomer broke thru mud last week on trail 8 west of Bergland - that 7 mile stretch had not been groomed and is awful. Coming from Ironwood Hurley take trail 2 to Marenisco and up 1 to lake Gogebic- south half of trail 13 to trail 2 not enough snow for groomer to do good

jdw1

I rode through there on Thursday, not good at all! They have a problem in that wet area, it is only a 7 miles stretch after you cross the highway! I would think that they could at least groom up to the bad spot and then turn around but maybe it isn’t possible!

ryanslyne

What is Bessember? haha don't know how the heck I didn't catch that. Anyways thanks guys, that is pretty much as I assumed. I don't feel like starting the trip north with that many miles of misery. So Trail 2 to 1 to the lake and Hoop it is. I enjoy a stop at the Hoop every time anyways. Maybe even stop at Fish Tales to see Tom from the Bergland Bay Bar.

RS

favoritos

Rode the bad section of trail 8 a couple of times last week. I have seen it worse. There were sleds running the shoulder but we ran the trail. I am surprised that they did not get out the drags on that section. We did see the groomer running the front blade. We went through the area where it looks like he sunk. We went through after the groomer's first pass and right after they pulled out the groomer. That water hole wasn't too big, but it is deep and the water is flowing pretty good. Sleds have no problem getting around the hole. Groomer might need to hit the shoulder unless the north side of the hole has frozen better.
We will ride that section again even if they truly give up on grooming it this year. It is only seven miles. I just hope they keep up with the rest of the trails in that area.

jdw1

I returned yesterday from Calumet to Bessemer, we ran down to Bergland then hoped on the lake down to Gogebic Lodge then caught 1 South then west on 2 towards Bessemer, 1 & 2 are getting thin and used up, west of Marinesco a ways you run into better snow cover and better trails. They need more snow on the south end of the lake, IMO.