Best steak in the western U.P?

mjkaliszak

The Garlic Sirloin at the Root Cellar is awesome!

I want to know what happened to the " deep fried scallops " at the root cellar ? Last year when I asked about them they said they didn't carry them anymore ??? I waited all year to eat those. Yes I'm adult ADD.

snowhawg

The Bear Trap

The Bear Trap in Land O'Lakes is outstanding also. Everything I've ever had there was just phenomenal. Their Garlic Sirloin is a specialty.

nickels

Really? They that good? Where exactly is Pilgram river? I have eaten in Houghton at a place right down town, right on a corner across from a small parking garage, but I dont know if I ever knew the name.
If you were going to head toward Baraga out of Houghton it's on the right side on the road. We have also gone there on sleds. If you head off the bridge down to the super 8 you can get there.

srt20

It must not be the place I was at. We at a place on the east side of the bridge. Drive along the river a block or so, then south a block.

frnash

SRT your thinking of the Ambassador! My vote goes to the Pilgram [sic] River also...
Pilgrim River Steak House, on US-41, about 1.5 miles east of the east end of the Mich Tech campus, on the way to Chassell. Formerly Mike's Bar (a.k.a. 19th Hole), circa mid 1960's. I tipped many a Bosch beer there in my college daze! They'd get my vote too, of course I haven't been to the Michigan House in Calumet!

Last edited:

mjkaliszak

Just found out after 100 miles of " Best Steak " anticipation.... The Michigan House is closed on Wednesday's. Some things weren't meant to be !

eyeman

Pizza tonight in Minocqua, but we have reservations at Pilgrim River in Houghton tomorrow night at 7:00 PM. Can't wait. I'm not a prime rib guy; any recommendation on the best cut?

meathead

Eyeman::

pizza tonight in minocqua, but we have reservations at pilgrim river in houghton tomorrow night at 7:00 pm. Can't wait. I'm not a prime rib guy; any recommendation on the best cut?

meathead ,here if you are not a rib guy then a 1st or 2nd cut portrhouse (they have the bigger filet & the strip steak on the other side of the bone) is a great choice.. Its like a ford or chevy both get us to work to enjoy our toys..lol..meathead

coldbear

Blink Bonnies ??

Do they still feed the deer[back yard] at night under the lights? I remember having a NY strip and it melted in my mouth. Blink Bonnie has my vote, if you want to drive to St.Germain Wisconsin.? MLW loved the fish[Fri. night] but I oppted for a pounder.

dfattack

Alices in Iron River MI Italian/Steak House Amazing steaks!! Hands down the best we've found!...and homemade gnocchi in garlic butter sauce Mmmmm, great service too

I see it's only 4 blocks down from where the trail crosses the road in town. Are you able to ride to the door? Not sure if Iron River allows sleds on their town roads. We usually just stop at KFC since it's right next to the trail. Would really like another option.

srt20

Do they still feed the deer[back yard] at night under the lights? I remember having a NY strip and it melted in my mouth. Blink Bonnie has my vote, if you want to drive to St.Germain Wisconsin.? MLW loved the fish[Fri. night] but I oppted for a pounder.

I dont recall Blink Bonnies having a feeder?? Are you sure you dont mean Whitetail? Its right across the street from BB.

kraven700

Blink bonnie's

They used to have the feeder out back.

Unfortunately, the D.N.R. put a stop to it.

Agreed on Blink's being the BEST steak in the Northwoods, period!

kraven700

Blink's

I dont recall Blink Bonnies having a feeder?? Are you sure you dont mean Whitetail? Its right across the street from BB.

They used to throw the food scraps out at Blink's, D.N.R. stopped it.

Next time you're in there, ask Debbie the bartender to show you the bear pics in the photo album.

There's a bear with a "pug" nose (like a pig)

It was taken from inside Blink's, when the bear had it's friggin nose pressed up against the glass picture window looking inside for food!!!

coldbear

Thought so..

I know they fed the Deer because we sat next to a window and enjoyed the feeding show. Funny though, never saw a Buck the entire evening. Possibly a button. My girlfriend loved the Deer...I myself loved the med.well T-Bones!