Best trail conditions????

mx2sno

Coming from SE Iowa to ride this weekend - need help with best place North of here to go, best snow/trails. Please advise - any and all help very much appreciated - Taking my son on his first Northern trip. Thanks.

kernsy

Take the extra time to get to the good stuff. UP!

X2, from Iowa either Ironwood or Watersmeet are your closest hubs. Its looking to be a chilller this weekend, depending on the age of your son you may want to wait a week if you can.

justride

I'm from north central Iowa and I like to stay at Gogebic Lodge in the UP. Was up there in late January and they had tons of snow. It's a 7 1/2 hour drive for me but well worth the extra couple hours. Driving through Wisconsin, they just didn't get the snow this year. The UP just got some well needed snow Friday night and have the most in the northwoods this year. You won't regret the extra travel time for great trails.

whitedust

May want to stay in protected Twistys going to be cold next 2 weeks. Vilas would be best choice for Twisty trail protection lots of places to stop & avoid grades. Somewhat depends on which state you want to buy trail permit WI or MI?

mx2sno

May want to stay in protected Twistys going to be cold next 2 weeks. Vilas would be best choice for Twisty trail protection lots of places to stop & avoid grades. Somewhat depends on which state you want to buy trail permit WI or MI?

Thank you all! I really appreciate it. Son is 13, been riding since 2 and loves to ride. I'm not familiar with "Vilas", will you please give me more info on this. We have been to Lake G before as adult only trip.

Truly - thanks again.....I appreciate all the help. I want this to be a great experience for my son. We've been on other trips, just never were he had full reigns to his own sled:)

Vilas would be boulder junction, Manitowish waters, eagle river ECT. More places to stop and warm up in Vilas than UP but not as much snow. Most areas of vilas still reporting good trails conditions though. Boulder would be a good place to stay if you decide on vilas. Good trips to Manitowish, land o, presque isle ECT. My experience has been the trails are not great right in town but pretty good once you get a mile away. Start earlier in the am and the trails will be best. I have a place in Manitowish Waters and ride this area a lot. Also spend lots of time in UP because it is so close. If you decide to check out vilas area feel free to pm me. Happy to give you some trail ideas so you and your son have an enjoyable trip. If you go to up stay away from 11 s that runs from the porcupine mnts down to Bessemer area. Was on that a week ago or so and it was horrible and the grade getting back to Marinesco was also a bear. Guessing it has not changed since I was there.

whitedust

Vilas massive system of Twistys, lake crossings hills, some 2 way trails in Eagle River area ,lots of motels & bar/grils +well marked. Everything you need including all dealers. Currently 15 to +20 " of snow very well groomed for the msot part but can get crowed on weekends. Lots of familes on weekends.

Vikingfan44

Hayward- Cable

Vilas massive system of Twistys, lake crossings hills, some 2 way trails in Eagle River area ,lots of motels & bar/grils +well marked. Everything you need including all dealers. Currently 15 to +20 " of snow very well groomed for the msot part but can get crowed on weekends. Lots of familes on weekends.

Just got back, it is all good. less snow, but trails are flat for the most part. Put over 300 miles in a couple of days, and very few rough trails. Very nice as usual.

catalac

Just got back, it is all good. less snow, but trails are flat for the most part. Put over 300 miles in a couple of days, and very few rough trails. Very nice as usual.

Really? Hayward, Cable area was pretty good?
I was wondering how it was. I thought I heard it was really thin up that way?

RHFD547

Just returned from the Mercer area yesterday and we never hit a bad trail. The Villas trails were perfect as were the Iron County trails. I don't know what your trail permit situation is, but I would NOT spend the extra to ride in Michigan, especially with your son. Like "Whitedust" said, a lot of twistys that are protected from the wind and well groomed. In my "OPINION", don't go very far south of Boulder Junction unless you are well versed on their trails.

rev07

I just rode the Cable area last weekend. Trails were flat and smooth for the most part. I had a real nice ride on fresh/groomed trail (8) early Saturday morning. As always, better north.

- - - Updated - - -

Whitedust-gonna be in ER this weekend and considering a ride to Bents Camp. Any concerns? Whats the route? I'm based near Lumpy's. Thanks in advance.

whitedust

I just rode the Cable area last weekend. Trails were flat and smooth for the most part. I had a real nice ride on fresh/groomed trail (8) early Saturday morning. As always, better north.

- - - Updated - - -

Whitedust-gonna be in ER this weekend and considering a ride to Bents Camp. Any concerns? Whats the route? I'm based near Lumpy's. Thanks in advance.

Only concern is grooming from burb to burb hit it right best trails ever, hit it wrong & a nightmare with heavy traffic. Might want to ride Brule River System if you can make do without amenities the groom out east by MI border has been amazing the Phelps connection has not been very good may want to avoid that as well as Lando. Lando has had groomer problems so hit or miss. Phelps.. IDK something has changed used to be best groom in the area.....not this year.

rtrypwr

I'd have to agree, we were up last weekend and the trails to the east were great, same as they were in Jan when we were there. Saturday rode from Phelps to Land O and Bond Falls and back, short day, wind was a killer. Sunday we saw little to no traffic from Phelps to ER, Iron River, and back to Phelps. Trails in my mind were excellent most of the time, one section just East of Phelps was a little thin.

5x700t136

I rode the trails in Oneida County last Friday and in my opinion the trails were very good to Excellent. Started in Rhinelander over to Sugar Camp up to St Germain then over to Minoqua and off to Willow Flowage area. My thanks to all the groomers for the great job on the trails.

mx2sno

Thanks! I'm not going to make it up there until next weekend now. I sure hope it is still good. I really do appreciate the help and I will pm for help once my dates are set. Thanks again.