Bewabic & Fort Wilkins Parks

garyl62

Well I canceled my reservation at Franklin Lake and now we're heading to Bewabic State Park for 2 nights, then on to Fort Wilkins for 2 more. Any reviews, things to know or things we need to do? We're going the last weekend of June, Friday-Tuesday.

Thanks

jr37

Make sure you stop at Johns house on your way through. I hear he has a really nice floor in his kitchen and new addition.;)

Did you check into McClain state park? I haven't camped there, but we have been to the park a few times. That is a nice campgroud, with most sites having a view of the big lake.

garyl62

I've been waiting for my invite, must be coming next week. Figured with that screen porch done he'd have plenty of room for a couple campers :)

Didn't look into McClain. Needed to be close to Iron River on the weekend so we could see our son, then figured we'd go all the way up to CP so my wife could see most of the area. She's not a camper so 4 nights is pushing it already. Next trip I think McClain is where we'll/I'll plan on staying.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Stop on by if you want Gary.

The whole place might actually be done by then!

-John

garyl62

Thanks John, probably will just wave as we go by, but if you've got another project going this fall you never know, maybe I'll show up then.

garyl62

Getting closer to the trip and still not sure about activities. Figure we're pretty good at Bewabic since the main activity is seeing my son and hanging out with him. Trying to figure out the best thing to do from Sunday morning through Tuesday morning.

Could stop on the way to Copper Harbor but we'll be pulling the trailer, thought about hitting all the winter stops but not sure my wife and daughter would thing that was fun. Could stop in Houghton to eat and shop, or hit some falls along the way. Maybe a lunch stop in Eagle Harbor or someplace else? What about Sunday evening and all day Monday in CH? Anyone got some suggestions? Don't want to drive all over just to see some sites, but need to get her to understand the UP could be a place for all of us, not just a place the guys go in the winter.

Last edited:

mezz

A little suggestion for you when heading North out of Hancock, there is construction going on in Ripley right now. I would recommend that you head north via 41 to save yourself the hassle on 26. When you get to the Harbor, get your trailer set up & take a drive up Brockway. Then you could take them on a trek out to High Rock (the end of the earth). Perhaps take a ride out to Bete Grise Beach if the weather permits. Ride up to Lac Labelle show them Mt, Bohemia, grab some grub at the Bear Belly while your there. Just some idea's I thought to throw out there. Enjoy!-Mezz

garyl62

Thanks Mezz, these are the kind of thoughts I'm looking for. Good to know about the construction. Did plan to go to Brockway, we usually ride to High Rock, how do you get out there in the summer, hike, atv, truck? Where is Bete Grise Beach, and what's it like?

Anyone else have ideas?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Gary,

You can get to high rock via car/truck, just fine. ATV too if you want, but not needed. Just head up 41 until it ends east of Copper Harbor and take the logging road out until you see the snowmobile signs to high rock.

Bete Gris is by Lac La Belle. After having lunch at the Bear Belly :), you just hang a right after leaving the road the triple L/B (Lac La Belle Lodge/Bear Belly Bar) is on, you hang a right and follow that around to the big lake. Probably the most beautiful beach in the Keweenaw, if not the whole UP, state, Midwest?

Another nice beach is at Big Traverse, east of Lake Linden on the eastern shore. Misery Bay down by Twin Lakes is also very nice. Head NW up the beach for a nice stroll.

-John

jr37

I agree with John on Bete Gris. The cover picture on my Facebook page is a sunrise on the water from there, a few years back when fall trail cleanup was based out of LLB.

mezz

Thanks Mezz, these are the kind of thoughts I'm looking for. Good to know about the construction. Did plan to go to Brockway, we usually ride to High Rock, how do you get out there in the summer, hike, atv, truck? Where is Bete Grise Beach, and what's it like?

Anyone else have ideas?
You are welcome & as John said above, Bete Grise pronounced in yooperease "Bay Da Gree" lol!:cool:, It is in fact one of the most beautiful beaches around anywhere & is near Lac LaBelle. Again as John said, you can drive a vehicle to High Rock. Other beaches to check out, Great Sand Bay & White City. Enjoy your stay.-Mezz

warner

was camping in copper harbor last week..we took the rhino's out to high rock bay, when we got there a couple groups were out on the point camping..then a few more people showed up with pickup trucks.
so no permit needed...
also check out the delaware mine, it's a self guided tour underground..
eagle harbor lighthouse tour along with the other maritime museum's on site..very cool, lots of history in the area

garyl62

Thanks warner, good idea about the mine. I've also learned that there are people going around in costumes from the era at Fort Wilkins and there are about 15 buildings that are restored. Now we're almost getting too many things to do. Think we'll shop in town and hang out at the campsite Sunday afternoon, and watch the sunset. Then Monday we'll head to high rock, lunch at LLB and the Bete Grise beach in the afternoon. If we can fit the mine in one of those days I'll think we've got a full trip. Anyone else got an idea? Now that I say that, I need to get them up Brockway too. Maybe that can be the sunset spot on one of those nights.

Any more tips, or anyone going to be in the area next Sun-Tue?

Woodtic

Copper Harbor is so nice in the summer ,it's a ghost town in the winter. The place my kids still talk about to this day,is Adventure Mine in Greenland. We repelled down into the mine so deep there was ice in August. The tour lasted over 4 hours,and at the time I thought it was a bit pricey. We are looking to do it a third time this year. $ well spent. Have fun with your family.

Last edited:

warner

Gary, here's one more for ya if you like home baked goodies like carmels,cookies and home made jams and breads hit THE JAM POT...it's on m26 between eagle harbor and eagle river, oh baby good stuff !!

garyl62

Gary, here's one more for ya if you like home baked goodies like carmels,cookies and home made jams and breads hit THE JAM POT...it's on m26 between eagle harbor and eagle river, oh baby good stuff !!

Sounds like we'll have to take 26 after we go past the snow gauge on the way up so we can stock up on goodies. I'll have to check into their Sunday hours though.

garyl62

Just checked, figures since they're "monks of Holy Transfiguration Skete" they are closed on Sundays. May have to run down Monday or stop on the way home on Tuesday. Looks great though and they have a pretty decent web site for a little place in the UP. http://store.societystjohn.com/

mezz

garyl62, how did your camping excursion go? Haven't seen any new posts yet, thought maybe your wife hog tied you & left you to get picked clean by the mosquito's! LOL! Hope you had a good time.-Mezz

garyl62

Just got back. Great trip! Bewabic was a nice park. Good sites, we picked a great one from the online maps and photos. Worked well for us with the location of the elec and fire ring since the trailer has the door and power plug on the opposite side as an RV. No need for any bug spray while we were there, it was great. Here are a couple photos from there.

20140628_113341.jpg 20140627_194515.jpg

Then on to CP and Wilkins. Really an interesting park and fun to learn about the fort. Sites are closer together and most are dirt. There were some paved sites but the blacktop got hot on those I heard. None of them back up to Lake Fanny Hooe, but there are some just across the camp road from the lake. The lake photo below was only about 50-60 feet from our site so it was a great place for sitting morning or night. Very fun spending time in CP during the summer. Did a lot of shopping in town (even ran into a few members of the Dee family!), up Brockway, sun set on Superior, and just general hanging around. Ran out of time so didn't make it to LLB or Bete Grise beach. Also decided not to go to High Rock, but then found ourselves 6 miles away on a seasonal road so thought we go. Wasn't more than 1/2 in and met a guy who said it was pretty tough going and unless I'd done some off roading I may want to rethink my plan. We went anyway but after about 2 miles we decided to just head back. Didn't really have the time and while it was passable, it was continuing to deteriorate. A lot of wash outs and ruts. Went to the Jam Pot on the way home today. Wanted to have lunch at the Mosquito but we left earlier than we planned as it was raining so we drove past just before 11:00 so we were too early. A lot more mosquitos up there, while I could still go outside, you really needed some spray to be comfortable. Here are a few shot from CP

20140630_161229.jpg 20140629_195901.jpg 20140629_195753.jpg

All in all a very good trip. The women in my life are not sure about 4 nights camping (2 of them raining) so they're willing to go again but we need to look into a motel instead. Thanks to everyone for the tips, if you're looking for a place to head, I'd recommend either park.