Beware of Walmart Prices!

whitedust

I used to food shop frozen foods , bread as convenience items at Walmart. Not anymore those items are 20 cents more per item than Kroger which I’m going to visit weekly anyway. No wonder Walmart Quarterly numbers are bad and few shoppers.

pclark

I used to food shop frozen foods , bread as convenience items at Walmart. Not anymore those items are 20 cents more per item than Kroger which I’m going to visit weekly anyway. No wonder Walmart Quarterly numbers are bad and few shoppers.
I was reading a report on both Walmart and Targets earnings this year. One of their biggest problems is that in Walmarts case too much of their current volume is in Groceries right now and not durable goods where the the profit margins are much better. I used to be in the food business and the profit in Grocery stores after all is said and done is a penny on the dollar. This may have increased to 2 cents on the dollar with all the other things that grocery stores now sell other than food but it's still very low. Target has the same issues, people have put off buying clothes, TV's, and other discretionary purchases that were always part of their monthly budget. I think this winter is going to be very difficult for people because heating costs are going to be outrageous. Gas is coming down because poeple are figuring out ways to stop driving as much, not because we are buying and driving EV's.

whitedust

I was reading a report on both Walmart and Targets earnings this year. One of their biggest problems is that in Walmarts case too much of their current volume is in Groceries right now and not durable goods where the the profit margins are much better. I used to be in the food business and the profit in Grocery stores after all is said and done is a penny on the dollar. This may have increased to 2 cents on the dollar with all the other things that grocery stores now sell other than food but it's still very low. Target has the same issues, people have put off buying clothes, TV's, and other discretionary purchases that were always part of their monthly budget. I think this winter is going to be very difficult for people because heating costs are going to be outrageous. Gas is coming down because poeple are figuring out ways to stop driving as much, not because we are buying and driving EV's.
Biden is releasing reserves thru October. We are are going to have to pay to replenish oil reserves. Like everything he does brainless. Gas going up again for sure especially during snowmobile season. Walmart needs to lower grocery prices or no point to go there and buy other things. Right now they just aren’t competitive for groceries and customers know it.

matti

I love the Walmart generic peanut butter....I think it's made by ConAgra, who also makes Peter Pan. Does Aldi sell Peter Pan?

pclark

I love the Walmart generic peanut butter....I think it's made by ConAgra, who also makes Peter Pan. Does Aldi sell Peter Pan?
Not sure but they have their store brand which I have no issues with. Greta store, in and out with a cart of groceries in 30 minutes, they don't move stuff around all the time. I think there is only 5-6 aisles, store even sells wine and beer. They have alot of gourmet items like cheese, grass fed beef,etc. Probably not for everybody but you save a lot over conventional grocery stores.

wiharley02

X2 on Kroger/Pick N Save

My wife does the majority of our shopping for our family of 4 there, used to do more at Aldi's but their prices went up or the sizes went down, now she finds herself finding the best sales at Kroger/Pick. She is a mindful shopper always looking for sales and deals, and lots of the house brand items are just as good of quality and taste as the name brand, if you didn't see the label doubt you'd ever know the difference. Pick N Save has a special section of "Wah hoo deals" too, items that are coming up on their expiration date, many of those items will still be good for weeks or even longer depending.

Plus, the fuel perks program. We just recently signed up for the "Boost" membership on the club card, for $59 a year, we get 2X fuel points year round (not just when they run a 2X special over a few weeks in summer), and other coupon specials as well. When they do run the 2X special I think we then get 3X. Anyways, at 2X year round, that membership will pay for itself in 2 fill-ups in the F150 with the 36 gallon tank (4-6 weeks for my fuel usage). It's nice to "save" $1 a gallon every time I fill up.

wiscrev

Hmmm, at my Walmart yu can get in but you can't get out! No checkers, and I refuse to work for Walmart and use the self-checkout.

dfattack

Biden is releasing reserves thru October. We are are going to have to pay to replenish oil reserves. Like everything he does brainless. Gas going up again for sure especially during snowmobile season. Walmart needs to lower grocery prices or no point to go there and buy other things. Right now they just aren’t competitive for groceries and customers know it.
The only problem with lowering prices Pete is you can't lose money either. If the other locations aren't as costly as wal mart it's only a matter of time. Different businesses react differently to inflation.

I can't raise my prices fast enough to keep up with my cost increases. I raised prices in May, next increase will be in September right after labor day. July I lost my ass. Needed to increase in July as well. It's not good. you may have to price hunt then re-evaluate two weeks later when the lower cost store finally catches on.

whitedust

The only problem with lowering prices Pete is you can't lose money either. If the other locations aren't as costly as wal mart it's only a matter of time. Different businesses react differently to inflation.

I can't raise my prices fast enough to keep up with my cost increases. I raised prices in May, next increase will be in September right after labor day. July I lost my ass. Needed to increase in July as well. It's not good. you may have to price hunt then re-evaluate two weeks later when the lower cost store finally catches on.
Maybe just me but Ingrid shops food and I go look at higher priced items at Walmart try to stay on top of TV technology and sporting goods pick up odds and ends in hardware just because I’m there and I hate to shop. Currently not much sense grocery wise to shop Walmart so they don’t get us in the door. Walmart has to decide what’s best for them but right now traffic is light in Burlington better pricing elsewhere.

elf

The one good thing about Wal mart though is delivery. My wife just puts the order in once/week and its all delivered to the house. The real dumb thing is if they don't have a item you ordered for delivery is that it'll usually show up the next day via UPS or Fed Ex. That's gotta be expensive for them. And delivery also keeps you from having to actually go to Wal Mart.

snobuilder

Amazon isn't the same bargain it has been past years.
I recently needed to replace the pneumatic wheel/tires on a garden cart and checked my local farm store first. Saved at least 20%.