Big horns this year

ridehard

Hello fellow snowmobilers
I was planning a trip to the big horns this year and was looking for any best time of the season to ride info. Going to stay at Bear lodge and rent a sled from them. I was thinking the first 2 weeks in Jan or Feb. Going to drive out.
Thanks for any info

misty_pines

The Bear Lodge is a good place to stay and has everything you need. Regarding the best time of the year to ride out there depends on what you are looking for. My group had gone out there anywhere from early to late March and we usually have a good base but the powder varies greatly year to year depending on the temps and how the storms hit, etc. I would think for deep soft powder, late Jan into February would be good.

Hoosier

How does this area compare to the Togwotee area, for those who have been to both? I've been to Togwotee but not the Big Horn area.

longtrack

Plenty of Snow

This is a Pic from the 4th of July. It is about 5 Miles SW of Burgess Jct. Wish I would have had my new Sled.

Attachments

• P1010048.jpg
    P1010048.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 55

TurboMatt

I've been to the Horns a bunch. The Big Horns can be very hit and miss. There's always snow, it just may be very hard and wind blown if you don't hit the weather right(this has happened to me a lot). Also lots of rocks because they don't get as much snow pack as other western mountains. Still better than anything you'll see in the midwest, including the best spots in the UP & I'll continue to go back every year.

ridehard

Thanks for the replies everyone. Nice picture Longtrack looks like you were doing some 4 wheelin in the bighorns. Do you have to rejet or clutch the 4wheelers for the mountains like a snowmobile? Hey Turbo Matt you said you were in the Big Horns alot when would be your favorite time to go? Is the snow usually soft in the trees if hard in the open? Have you ever gone at the end of January? Sorry for so many questions its just my first time to the Big Horns and I will be renting so I will have to lock in a Date here soon to get my spot and sled at least I think I should Lock in my date I really don't know how busy they get at Bear lodge.

longtrack

We did not have to do anything to our fuel injected Honda's, they ran fine. I don't know about a belt drive ATV. Maybe someone can jump in and let us know if an ATV Clutch has to be changed on a Belt drive?