big horns

mnuser

Conditions in Big Horn Mountains

Anybody have any "real" conditions for the Big Horn mountains? We are planning on going out in the middle of March and we are on the fence. Some reports I read are the conditions are thin. Would like to hear it from somebody who has been there or going there or has some first hand reports.

Thanks!

modified15

I was out to the northern big horns on feb. 4th and 5th. We rode from bear lodge north to high country and bucking mule falls. Trails were excellent and we found some great untracked fresh powder with some being over chest deep, some areas had deeper that we heard about but didn't ride. They have just gotten some more snow there too, some places just got up to 3 feet. I talked to one of the guides at bear lodge resort, he said some of the best riding is in late march to early april. If you go onto bear lodge resorts website they often update new snow and riding conditions on a 1-10 scale, or you can call out to the lodge to find out up to date conditions. This was our first trip out there and we are definately going back, great place to ride and a nice place to stay. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions let me know.

Last edited:

misty_pines

The Bear Lodge Resort website seems to have pretty accurate snow report updates. The snow conditions seem to be improving out there.

snowho96

leaving tues. the 23rd and staying at bear lodge be back mon. the 1st. I will post what its like when i get back.

ef6efi

we are leaving sunday night, riding till friday, maybe we will see you there, we will have a black 06 crossfire 7 and a 2010 crossfire R.

snowho96

sleds

we will be driving a black d max 4 door dually, open 4 place. We are riding 2 07 800 summits 144" and 2 09 600 switchback dragons. We should arrive wed afternoon will look for ya.

snowho96

conditions

just got back today, snow was excellent! Had a guide out of bear lodge for 2 days, took us north to high country one day and south the next. both were great with plenty of deep untracked powder. would definately go back as soon as possible. Will post pics later.

snowho96

2-24-2-28 big horns

here ore some pics

Attachments

• Wyoming 011.jpg
    Wyoming 011.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 92
  • Wyoming 018.jpg
    Wyoming 018.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Wyoming 008.jpg
    Wyoming 008.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Wyoming 016.jpg
    Wyoming 016.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Wyoming 023.jpg
    Wyoming 023.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 110

snowho96

pics

a few more pics from big horns

Attachments

• Wyoming 012.jpg
    Wyoming 012.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Wyoming 013.jpg
    Wyoming 013.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Wyoming 015.jpg
    Wyoming 015.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Wyoming 017.jpg
    Wyoming 017.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Wyoming 028.jpg
    Wyoming 028.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 93

snodogg

Looks good, I may be headed there next week possibly. Your pics may help us make our decision! Thanks for posting!

misty_pines

Looks good, I may be headed there next week possibly. Your pics may help us make our decision! Thanks for posting!

If you make it out there, please post on how the conditions are if you could when you get back! I am heading out there on the 17th. Thanks.

snodogg

no go

sorry Misty Pines, we aren't going this weekend. Looks like we may try again in a week or two but only if they get dumped. from the Bear Lodge website it looks like it's getting tough to find untracked snow. Looks like I may be done for the season.

misty_pines

Snodogg - No problem. Thanks for the update. I am locked in for a Bighorns trip and we will be riding on 3/18-3/20. Looks like a big warm up early next week, then cooler again by Thursday, 3/18 with some snow chances. I hope the cool down and fresh snow happens or conditions most likely won't be real good. I will post how it is when I get back.

misty_pines

Bighorns Update

Snodogg - No problem. Thanks for the update. I am locked in for a Bighorns trip and we will be riding on 3/18-3/20. Looks like a big warm up early next week, then cooler again by Thursday, 3/18 with some snow chances. I hope the cool down and fresh snow happens or conditions most likely won't be real good. I will post how it is when I get back.

Got back from the Bighorns yesterday (stayed at Bear Lodge). The snow was settled and not great Thursday morning, but it started snowing late morning on Thursday on and off through Friday and condition improved greatly. The snow in the trees and swampy areas was several feet deep and was awesome. Looks like some more snow coming there tonight and tomorrow so conditions should still be good. Will post some pics in the Guest Shots Current Gallery section.

Last edited: