Big Mac to Porkies and back

dopp

thinking of panning this trip this winter
has anybody done ths in the past?
any sugestions?
milage time places to eat etc.

polarisrider1

You need a week. How many miles a day do you want to ride? Plan at least 1 day for down time for broken sled repair, etc. Seems like someone in our group gets a new sled during the trip everytime due to the cost of repairs or lack of parts to keep moving on. Trade in broken sled and credit card a new sled is not the best way to do it. Dealer always wins. Have decent sleds in great order before leaving. You are as good as your weakest link. Have extra belts, plugs, replace hyfax and carbides before you leave. 01-03 Polaris and Cat owners bring a drive bearing along. The one that goes behind the speedo drive on the tunnel. First aid kit, etc. Haul oil, not so easy to find at every station. Add some extra tools to your kit. there are a few routes to go. I like to get on trail 8 for the most part of the trip. Remember everyones day is wrecked when you break down on the trail. It also makes for a long day when you have reservations for a hotel 200 plus miles away with a broken sled. Been there many times with others. Now I just do day trips out and back. This way you get the guy back to camp and he has a truck to go get whatever is needed to fix his sled and to pick it up along the road we hauled it to. The guy don't need to buy a new un-planned for sled to keep the trip going. We actually had a guy break a leg on a cross country trip left him in Marquette. Had a guy need his appendix removed on another trip, left him in Newberry for emergency surgery. Had a guy throw a track out the back of his sled just out of Hearst, Ontario (long ways up) he lucked out there was a Cat dealer in town still open who went and got his sled. He missed out on the Gentlemans Club that night. And got a huge tow, track and drive bearing bill in the mourning. So stuff can happen. Ride On!

dopp

I figure about 250 miles a day
i ride a 2006 yamaha so no oil needed , and i am now going thru it replacing all bearings and bushings.
i wasnt planing any hotel reservations was going to take my chanses, is that a bad idea?

polarisrider1

During the week you should be fine for a room. John, I was going to say bring a mechanic friend along but it looks like you have that covered.