Big Northern Pike

Grant Hoar

Beautiful fish. What did that weigh / tape at?

Update. Might want to do a little searching on the internet about that fish. Stories going around for couple years now on where it actually was caught

Last edited:

mjkaliszak

Sweet fish & pics. I remember fishing in Black Lake ( Upper NY ) and catching a few pan fish when a NP would roll up from the bottom and just take everything, fish, lure ect...

anonomoose

Actually that photo is getting pretty old. I believe it was taken in 1998 or so, and was caught north of Minnesota probably Manitoba.

The guy actually caught another pike much smaller and was reeling it in, when this big guy came up and grabbed the smaller pike, so he really never hooked the big pike it was just too dumb to let go before getting netted.

chords

We would nail the heads on a tree of pike from Kagawong Lake. Lots of pics but none of such an event

misty_pines

This article below looks to be the most legit story about this big pike. This beast appears to have been caught in the Netherlands in 2004. The picture of the big Northern going after the smaller one is unrelated. It is amazing how many times this story has been circulated on the internet. It gets new life every year or so. It is a huge Pike any way you look at it. The guy measured in at 127cm or 50" and 19.5kg or 43 lbs.

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/articles/blomedit.htm

L

lenny

that is incredible! NP apatite is big. My wife caught a small mouth bass and a larger NP grabbed it. I netted both and ate well. NP are great eating, I don't care what anyone says

mjkaliszak

huh?

This was common practice back in the day. In the 70's we used to vacation on Black Lake NY. It is up by the 1000 Islands. The fish filet table / station tree had all kinds of NP heads nailed to it. Those were the days I'll tell you. Here is a pic of a fish we used to catch way back when in Black Lake ( a bowfin aka dogfish ) as I got older it reminded me of a snakehead. From time to time my grandfather, father, uncles would come back from LMB fishing in the "muck" = ( lilly pads & weed beds ... so thick we would have to row back into it , a OB motor could not make it ) and have caught one of these. Very powerful fish.

The pic is of the worlds Catch & Release record of a 37" Bowfin caught in Black Lake 2007.

As far as that huge NP picture, I think I fall for that every year that it circulates... my memory is shot plus I like to marvel at fish even if someone else caught them on the internet....

Last edited:

Deeppow17

I have seen and caught pike 45in. long before but that one is just huge. I have seen that one on the internet for awhile now. That would be a dream fish the catch right there.

Polarice

This article below looks to be the most legit story about this big pike. This beast appears to have been caught in the Netherlands in 2004. The picture of the big Northern going after the smaller one is unrelated. It is amazing how many times this story has been circulated on the internet. It gets new life every year or so. It is a huge Pike any way you look at it. The guy measured in at 127cm or 50" and 19.5kg or 43 lbs.

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/articles/blomedit.htm

Yeah I heard about this last year. The thing I heard too was that it was from another country. I didn't read your link but it may be what I read last year.

Something about pike can't get that big here and that it's a different species.