Big Sandy, McGregor mn area

snowchief

We have our club ride up there next weekend wondering if anyone has any info on trail conditions in that area, any direction from there as well we usually cover some ground any info is greatly appreciated thank you

rayds

I was in McGregor just prior to Christmas, and trails were good but some areas were "wet" due to lack of frost and beaver dams but still got in 80 mile ride on a short ride one day. I am going back up this weekend. With the additional snow since Christmas and the cold temps this week, i think it will be better. IF i was more savvy, I would provide a link to the Tamarack Sno-Flyers on Facebook, they have had a number of updates including maps of the trails they were able to groom a week ago, I am hoping more trails were froze down and maybe able to be groomed.
Maybe see you on the trails.

snowchief

I was in McGregor just prior to Christmas, and trails were good but some areas were "wet" due to lack of frost and beaver dams but still got in 80 mile ride on a short ride one day. I am going back up this weekend. With the additional snow since Christmas and the cold temps this week, i think it will be better. IF i was more savvy, I would provide a link to the Tamarack Sno-Flyers on Facebook, they have had a number of updates including maps of the trails they were able to groom a week ago, I am hoping more trails were froze down and maybe able to be groomed.
Maybe see you on the trails.

Give a report after your ride please

rayds

this is a quote from Tamarack Sno-Flyers facebook post about an hour ago

"Groomers are out today, and everything but the park will be groomed by tomorrow evening. With the cold weather freezing the wet areas, the park should get groomed next week"

should be good riding!!!

SledTL

I'll be between this area and grand rapids this weekend so I will give an update for the general area as well. Crow wing county clubs say that they have been out grooming with the colder temps. Gonna be a good chilly weekend for sure!

SledTL

Sorry didn’t respond, trails were too good to be on the phone! Cold as heck but great riding.

Carbide

Sorry didn’t respond, trails were too good to be on the phone! Cold as heck but great riding.
I did a little recon this afternoon. It seemed a little rough in the open areas. I headed out east on the Tamarak first.
Any recommendations on trails for tomorrow? I'll be riding all day. Based out of McGregor at the Country Meadows Inn.

SledTL

I did a little recon this afternoon. It seemed a little rough in the open areas. I headed out east on the Tamarak first.
Any recommendations on trails for tomorrow? I'll be riding all day. Based out of McGregor at the Country Meadows Inn.

Get on the soo line and ride over to Emily area. I was in Remer and did a loop from there down south to fifty lakes and back. Trails were great in that area and the club out of Emily/outing does a fantastic job of marking and maintaining trails.

Last edited:

Carbide

Get on the soo line and ride over to Emily area. I was in Remer and did a loop from there down south to fifty lakes and back. Trails were great in that area and the club out of Emily/outing does a fantastic job of marking and maintaining trails.
Lol. I hate riding that far on straight trails. If I was going to ride that far away I would've stayed there.
I was going by the info in this thread.

Had a decent ride. I did take the soon line a bit. Trails around the Hill City and Aitkin areas weren't bad.

SledTL

Lol. I hate riding that far on straight trails. If I was going to ride that far away I would've stayed there.
I was going by the info in this thread.

Had a decent ride. I did take the soon line a bit. Trails around the Hill City and Aitkin areas weren't bad.

There is really twisty trails in the land o lakes state forest. Only suggested it because you could get places fast.

snowchief

It's always a good thing for me if there is a rail bed trail close to where I'm staying, yes they can get boring for a long distance but it's always nice to know that if you happen to get out further than you wanted you can always jump on them and get back quickly, also nice to use as you mentioned if you want to get out further to get some different ground quickly. Thanks for the info on the area sounds like it's going to be good riding this weekend

rayds

I was in Mcgregor area, left yesterday. Rode 100+ miles Sunday, all groomed (except a 4 miles stretch which was still uaccessible for groomers, nice ride from Mcgregor to Glen, Jacks Shack, Jackson Hole/Lawler, Tamareack. i did talk with one of the groomer crew Fri eve-- comment was Savannah Park is not groomed, some trees need clearing for the groomer to pass. check on MN DNR snow depth and conditions website for updates.