Biggest year in modern snowmobiling

DaveZRT800

There have been soo many BIG years in modern snowmobiling, however the term "modern" is to be interpreted. One could look at the advancements in suspensions both front & rear including the slide rail. Plastic skis, the introduction of the smart shocks in 2000 (which were an expensive pita). IFS to AWS & long travel rear suspensions. EFI, push button reverse, diamond drive vs chain case. 4 stroke engines, high output twin two strokes, turbos. I would have to agree with the rider forward design as a huge improvement as well, but, all of the advancements made in sleds over the years, it is diffiicult for me to say which was the "biggest" because all of them are huge changes & sleds wouldn't be what they are today without any of them, including a trail system.
In 1974 my Dad bought my mom a 1974 VIP Panther. It was oil injected and had a Cat-O-Matic transmission, no clutch. It was very smooth and reliable. I sold it to a collector around 5 years ago. Still ran and looked like new. What a great sled.

skiroule

Great Question.

I don’t think there’s any question that, within a few years most manufacturers had adopted the Rev concept, which was initially mocked by those same manufacturers, but my vote goes way back to about 1965 when we went from riding this:
1962-polaris-sno-traveler_1.jpg
To this:
Polaris_Colt_1.jpg

Maybe this was more like the birth of modern snowmobiling than the biggest year in modern snowmobiling but it didn't take manufacturers long to realize that this design would make riding a snowmobile a whole different experience. Within a few years, almost every one of them was building a variation of this concept.

lofsfire

As Skiroule pointed out the rider froward has been around for a while. I was going to post a similar picture. LOL
But while the REV was the first of the big 4 to design around rider position. I believe FAST with the Blade was really the first production model. Then the Redline Revolt was teased for years...

Lots of cool history either way!

skiroule

Except chaparral and ski roule...both had ifs way before polaris did ...(chappy in 73...skiroule 75)
Of all the manufacturers that I wish could have stayed in the game, Chaparral would be #1. Their racing program was one of the best at the time and they were a remarkably innovative shop. The 73 SSIII’s had some issues (primarily suspension) but the liquid cooled 74 SSX was a killer sled. The 75 prototypes moved the engine forward and were production ready when parent company Armco Steel pulled the plug.

Depending upon your definition of biggest, Gary makes an interesting point about sled companies in the 70’s. Snogoer Magazine puts production numbers for the 70/71 winter at 617,700 units while the magazine lists sales for last winter as 59,234 sleds. While this is not quite apples to apples, even if one makes the conservative estimate that only 80% of the 70/71 sleds produced were actually sold, that still means that almost 10x as many sleds were sold that winter as last winter.

In fact, the production numbers for the three winters starting with 69/70 are a little mind-boggling, almost 1.7 million sleds were produced. Bombardier/Skidoo alone built over a half-million sleds during those years.

Granted, there were few trails back then but can you imagine the trail traffic if sled production/sales were anywhere near those numbers today?

attakman

Of all the manufacturers that I wish could have stayed in the game, Chaparral would be #1. Their racing program was one of the best at the time and they were a remarkably innovative shop. The 73 SSIII’s had some issues (primarily suspension) but the liquid cooled 74 SSX was a killer sled. The 75 prototypes moved the engine forward and were production ready when parent company Armco Steel pulled the plug.

Depending upon your definition of biggest, Gary makes an interesting point about sled companies in the 70’s. Snogoer Magazine puts production numbers for the 70/71 winter at 617,700 units while the magazine lists sales for last winter as 59,234 sleds. While this is not quite apples to apples, even if one makes the conservative estimate that only 80% of the 70/71 sleds produced were actually sold, that still means that almost 10x as many sleds were sold that winter as last winter.

In fact, the production numbers for the three winters starting with 69/70 are a little mind-boggling, almost 1.7 million sleds were produced. Bombardier/Skidoo alone built over a half-million sleds during those years.

Granted, there were few trails back then but can you imagine the trail traffic if sled production/sales were anywhere near those numbers today?
So much innovation happened in the 70's and early 80's....too much to list...it's hard to say what was the greatest year

rv245

I agree, got a 72 Chappy Firebird 400 SS sitting in the garage waiting it's turn to get done, always like the looks of the Chaparrals. Growing up the next door neighbor got a 74 SSX ,that he let me take a spin on, very nice sled. Your right about the early 70's being the haydays of sledding. I use to ride over to the next town (6 miles away) daily to the middle school. There was always races going on, on the weekends you thought you wee at a vintage ride in with all the different sleds there.

hermie

There are so many Yamaha with oil injection. Arctic cat with a arm suspension that all manufacturers now use. But the Ski Doo Rev made all the manufacturers scramble and come up with there own version of rider forward. Totally changed how you ride a sled and how much you got beat up on the rough trails. I remember looking at the 03 and thinking that thing will never take off,2 years later I bought one and couldn't believe how much better I felt after riding all day. I found myself not coming to a crawl because trails were beat up. Once I thought about of the logic of it I was like of course it makes sense sitting in the center of the sled why didn't I think of it 🤔

euphoric1

There are so many Yamaha with oil injection. Arctic cat with a arm suspension that all manufacturers now use. But the Ski Doo Rev made all the manufacturers scramble and come up with there own version of rider forward. Totally changed how you ride a sled and how much you got beat up on the rough trails. I remember looking at the 03 and thinking that thing will never take off,2 years later I bought one and couldn't believe how much better I felt after riding all day. I found myself not coming to a crawl because trails were beat up. Once I thought about of the logic of it I was like of course it makes sense sitting in the center of the sled why didn't I think of it 🤔
not only sitting in the center but your knees weren't above your hips anymore which actually most of all reduced if not eliminated the need to crawl off the sled after a day of riding.

whitedust

I held off on this topic with so many improvements over the years. But for me hands down 2003 rider forward with the Rev and Yamaha with the Rx1 performance 4s sled. I thought the Rx1ton was too heavy to succeed but then 2s 800s were blowing up left and right , including mine ,so I bought 2007 Apex and I converted to 4s still riding a 900t enduro today.

scoot

Whatever year they came out with the easy to pull, light weight enclosed aluminum trailer. Not only did it save having to stop at the car wash after every trip, it gave a place to store these ever growing sleds the 80% of the time we cant ride them.

xsledder

I am not so sold on the ride forward as the biggest improvement. Yes, it helps with bumpy trails. However, I have noticed that I could drive the sled faster and harder in the corners with the old sit down position, on a groomed trail of course :). The upright position and taller sleds have raised the center of gravity and makes the corners less fun. I enjoyed the old days on the '86 Indy 400 when I could kick the track out and drift the corners at 50 mph. Today, you have to slowdown, turn, and hit the flipper.

I am having a hard time figuring this out.

snobuilder

I am not so sold on the ride forward as the biggest improvement. Yes, it helps with bumpy trails. However, I have noticed that I could drive the sled faster and harder in the corners with the old sit down position, on a groomed trail of course :). The upright position and taller sleds have raised the center of gravity and makes the corners less fun. I enjoyed the old days on the '86 Indy 400 when I could kick the track out and drift the corners at 50 mph. Today, you have to slowdown, turn, and hit the flipper.

I am having a hard time figuring this out.
You have hit the nail on the head as far as rider forward high CG effects the cornering of a sled.
My Apex and Vector are the perfect "hybrid" between then and now.

ddhanna

1980 - The first production snowmobile with independent front suspension. Polaris TXL Indy 340. I was blown away that you didn't need to lean to make a turn.

xsledder

1980 - The first production snowmobile with independent front suspension. Polaris TXL Indy 340. I was blown away that you didn't need to lean to make a turn.
Nope. The 1979 Arctic Cat Trail Cat was the first production IFS snowmobile. Unfortunately, Polaris gets the credit.

Attachments

• 79tc340oo1.jpg
    79tc340oo1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 13