Bird watchers and feeders

xcr440

To those of you who put out food for the birds, do you still have any Orioles in your area?

At the little woman's house here in central Sconnie, it got nice and warm for the Orioles to come rolling through right on time, 2nd week of May. Then we had that really cold snap (For this time of year) with some temps in the 30's, maybe even some 20's in a few areas. Since then, no Orioles. Will they come back or have they moved on for good?

Most of the other fowl I normally see appear to be doing just fine. Maybe they just didn't like my version of Grape Jelly??

katden4

Northern Illinois, and we still have Orioles coming to our feeder. They have been around for a while, some days more often than others, but they were still there last night. Gone through about 5lbs of jelly so far.

favoritos

We had a couple that must have been passing through around the same time. They were at the feeders for a couple days before temps dropped back down into the cold snap. We do not typically see them nesting nearby with our tree mix. Hard to say if they are still around.

The hummingbirds have been scarce this year. They normally hit the feeders on a regular basis throughout the season. Saw a couple early in the season that were likely migrating. Have not seen much lately.

Fireflies started about three-four weeks ago. I don't ever recall seeing them so early. They are still flickering, so we'll see how that population looks later in the season. Dragonflies are crazy thick.

xcr440

Nice shot of the Bear John!

There have been a fair amount of hummingbirds buzzing us on the porch so they are still hanging around. I think they like the hanging plants she put out this year, because we don't have any feeders out for them.

D

Deleted member 10829

I feed the birds and deer in the winter, but once the bears come out, I have to quit until late fall.  We have so many bears around here you have to put everything away.  They can be a real pain until the berries etc. come out.  I used to be able to put my garbage out the night before, but now I have to get up at 5:45 a.m. to put it out and hope the bears don't get to it before the truck comes at 6:15.  We are having lots of hummingbirds.

russholio

I haven't seen any around my house in a couple weeks, but I see and hear them at the Detroit Zoo just a few miles away. I think when bugs become more available they may not visit feeders as much.

hemi_newman

I haven’t seen a single one here in Northern WI, we only have one hummingbird coming into the feeders on a regular basis. I can’t put feed into our bird feeder as Ms.Robin decided to build a nest in it and lay eggs.

snobuilder

We have 1 or 2 nesting nearby which is about normal.<br><br>Sandhill cranes are invading this area more and more each year. Nesting pairs very close to houses and businesses.

1fujifilm

I haven’t seen a single one here in Northern WI, we only have one hummingbird coming into the feeders on a regular basis. I can’t put feed into our bird feeder as Ms.Robin decided to build a nest in it and lay eggs.

Just an FYI that hummingbirds are aplenty in Bemidji, MN..our 2 feeders need filling every other day andn they are buzzing galore.

Went to 4 lakes this morning and monarchs are all over the boat landings, great to see.

Bear

mrbb

no "Orioles at my place( in PA)n a few yrs , used to have them , but they just don't seen to show up much anymore
even Blue jays are missing more and more last few yrs,
but a lot of humming birds
] Bears haven't been about much the past 2-3 weeks harem, mating season is in full swing now, and all my older females got shot/killed the last two yrs , so haven't had any of them bringing there big boyfriends about like in the past

have seen 1-2 males cruising thru yard hoping to find one , but so far, they just been far and few as to past yrs!

[/COLOR]