Biwabik MN

Tuck

anyone have any experience or knowledge of the area for a snowmobile trip that they are willing to share? Have a friend who threw the location out for a possible trip this year. To be honest have not looked at the maps too long for the area figured I could get a quick its good or not here. thank you to whoever replies.

SledTL

anyone have any experience or knowledge of the area for a snowmobile trip that they are willing to share? Have a friend who threw the location out for a possible trip this year. To be honest have not looked at the maps too long for the area figured I could get a quick its good or not here. thank you to whoever replies.
Its good, sometimes it can get a little less snow as its not along the north shore and misses out on the LES that places like two harbors and silver bay get. To the west grand rapids is quite a popular destination for sledders, so you are in the right territory and traffic should be pretty light anywhere up there. Nashwauk night riders do a great job of maintaining their trails and post updates often (Doug the groomer guy!) It is a little more remote than places like northern WI, so just know its not quite as touristy as a place like Vilas. Also it can be pretty nasty cold in the end of Jan/early feb think -30 air temp, so have good gear. Otherwise, send it!

Tuck

SledTL thank you for the reply and info. Looks a little remote like parts of the UP which is fine by us.

bearrassler

I have never ridden right around Biwabik but have done a lot of riding in the Tower, Cook, and Orr area a little north of there. Some areas are a little remote which I like, the traffic is low, and the trails are nice. You could probably do a longer day ride up to Voyaguer's Nat'l Park one day. I would go for it.

SledTL

SledTL thank you for the reply and info. Looks a little remote like parts of the UP which is fine by us.
One thing that MN has is some super nice trail shelters that the clubs stock with fire wood and usually starting supplies. If its a nice day I have a lot of fun meeting others and talking sleds. I believe that Grand Rapids has one of the largest in the state and will usually have 30 sleds there on a weekend.

xcr440

View attachment 68911 One thing that MN has is some super nice trail shelters that the clubs stock with fire wood and usually starting supplies. If its a nice day I have a lot of fun meeting others and talking sleds. I believe that Grand Rapids has one of the largest in the state and will usually have 30 sleds there on a weekend.

xcr440

Great place to ride and nice trails. Only downside is 50 MPH speed limit during the day.
Technically the speed limit is 50mph all the time, but yeah, just need to be paying attention. There are the common straights they like to sit on, I think in all the riding I did last year I saw one, in over 7k miles.

elf

Technically the speed limit is 50mph all the time, but yeah, just need to be paying attention. There are the common straights they like to sit on, I think in all the riding I did last year I saw one, in over 7k miles.
In close to 20 yrs of riding the north shore I've seen them 3 times.

bearrassler

I've ridden in Northern MN since the mid 60's, have never been stopped for speeding, I have had my sled license checked twice, and have ridden many miles well over the speed limit. I do know of a few people that have gotten tickets but they usually gave one ticket and told them to split the cost with the group. I don't think it is a very big deal.