black hills

ariegnatsur

Been there several times. Very fun riding, usually very deep snow.
Especially on north facing slopes. Very often find 4-6' deep snow. It's a cross between the U.P. and Mountain riding. Enough hills to make it interesting, but you're not going to be dealing with avalanches. Highly recommended and use the link from joey t. I check it daily.

jake

Been there several times. Very fun riding, usually very deep snow.
Especially on north facing slopes. Very often find 4-6' deep snow. It's a cross between the U.P. and Mountain riding. Enough hills to make it interesting, but you're not going to be dealing with avalanches. Highly recommended and use the link from joey t. I check it daily.
Thinking about planning a trip to the Black Hills in 2011. How late in the season can you typically ride in this area? Can you ride in to late March / early April or should I plan a trip earlier, like late Feb/early March? Is the snow usually set up by late March?

Also, any recommendations for lodging outside of town (Lead)?

Thanks for feedback and assistance. Jake.

ariegnatsur

Black Hills

I would say earlier like Feb or early March to be safe. I highly recommend Recreational Springs as a place to stay. Nice Motel style lodging with Hot tub and excellent food. Nice staff, family owned. Also right on the trail. You can head out from there some days or trailer up to trailshead lodge to ride the higher terrain.