Black River Falls and surrounding area

xcr440

For anyone looking for a really good area with phenomenal trails, I highly recommend this area right now. My son and I just finished a 3 day saddle bag trip from New Richmond to Cadott, then to BRF day 2, and BRF back to New Richmond today. The last 50 miles into BRF from the north could easily be the best 50 miles I’ve ridden this season. The trail into and out of Hatfield across Lake Arbutus was perfection yesterday. Might be the last week for that in that area!

E6C5ECEF-697E-407D-A148-3E028793407A.jpg
44753A48-012F-4952-B008-0EA753F4805F.jpg
2AC94D4C-5B2D-48A3-B1E9-01E81BCDB62F.jpg
D4B85A6E-0B00-4EA6-AF5A-C0622993B35C.jpg
0548D4A7-9661-4216-8583-5A1C5A1D3533.jpg

rozzy43

BRF area has been on my bucket list for quite awhile now!,   but we ended up going to ride the hills/mountains of Wellsboro, PA last week and took that off the list!  scenery and trails were awesome.

xcr440

That sounds like a fun trip. How many miles from BRF back to New Richmond?

Short answer: 220 miles.

Long answer: We had planned to stay in Durand, so we went that way via Arcadia. It was our goal to ride some bluff country, and boy was that awesome! Turns out the trail that comes in from the south of Durand was no longer there, so we had to circle through Mondovi to get to Durand. Probably cost us 20-25 miles. We got to Durand at 4:00, gassed and oiled up, and decided to finish it back to New Richmond since at -2, that was the warmest we would see for the next 24 hours. Back at my sisters south of New Richmond at 6:45 with 220 miles for the day. I would say it could be done in much less than 200 if a more direct route was taken.

SledTL

XCR your rides always make me jealous. I need to just say do it one of these days and pick a spot to backpack to. Western Wi always seems to be pretty good with lower traffic. Do you just chance it with a hotel or plan it out?

xcr440

XCR your rides always make me jealous. I need to just say do it one of these days and pick a spot to backpack to. Western Wi always seems to be pretty good with lower traffic. Do you just chance it with a hotel or plan it out?

I put a general plan together ahead of the ride, but unless it’s a weekend I don’t make reservations. This year even weekends haven’t been a problem if I avoid the popular spots.

elf

Short answer: 220 miles.<br>
<br>
Long answer: We had planned to stay in Durand, so we went that way via Arcadia. It was our goal to ride some bluff country, and boy was that awesome! Turns out the trail that comes in from the south of Durand was no longer there, so we had to circle through Mondovi to get to Durand. Probably cost us 20-25 miles. We got to Durand at 4:00, gassed and oiled up, and decided to finish it back to New Richmond since at -2, that was the warmest we would see for the next 24 hours. Back at my sisters south of New Richmond at 6:45 with 220 miles for the day. I would say it could be done in much less than 200 if a more direct route was taken.
<br><br>We rode out of Mondovi years ago and it was a fantastic ride. Rode down to Fountain City and back and when those trails are good, they are hard to beat. I really like the area around Knapp, Glenwood City also.<br>
<br>

xcr440

We rode out of Mondovi years ago and it was a fantastic ride. Rode down to Fountain City and back and when those trails are good, they are hard to beat. I really like the area around Knapp, Glenwood City also.

Yeah it wasn't as if we were complaining having to ride more, trails were fantastic!