Blowing Stop Signs!

If you're familiar with the Eastern/Central UP, you've no doubt ridden trail 443 to/from Seney/Grand Marais. We tend to ride seasonal rodes when present, and there is one such rode that crosses this trail. The groomed trail has stop ahead and stop signs for both North & South Traffic. We stop near this intersection frequently for a break and watch the traffic disregard this "in the middle of no-where" stop sign. The seasonal rode has the right-of-way here. Mind you this is a blind intersection in all 4 directions. A couple a days ago we sat there for maybe 20 minutes, and witnessed at least 50-60 sleds blow the stop signs in both directions. Not one even attempted a stop until they spotted me pretending to write down their reg #'s. The DNR or Sheriff's Dept could write tickets all day long, or until the word got out they were set up there. I'll bet there's gonna be a nasty wreck soon. Just sayin.

98panther

You should also try sitting in the restroom, and count how many don't wash their hands.
I think you can get issued a whistle and badge, at the department of "police of everyone".

Sorry but that's too funny.....
must be date night in the UP

Last edited:

kaboolie

I would like to have asked the dude on Cty Rd M in Boulder Junction this last Monday what ever made him think he could blow the stop sign he did. Lucky for him he didn't appear to be injured but his sled was a total loss. I'm sure the driver of the car was rather surprised when he was hit by the sled!!
There's a reason they put up stop signs, I wonder how many people blow thru them in there car vs on their sled??

mjkaliszak

I guess my spin is ( with the sign reduction ) any sign I'm fortunate enough to see.... I'm paying attention to.

POLARISDAN

its possible i know what intersection u r talking about or one like it outside seney..i came upon an intersection out of the freakin blue and the stop sign was blocked by trees till i was on it..by the time i stopped i was across the road and a bunch of sleds were off to my right..i waved my follower to stop, but needless to say there was no stop ahead, and the stop sign was absolutely buried..i was thankful i didnt get hit..

bottom line is the stop signs need to be visible for agt least 20plus yards not 5 feet..when ur in the woods the trees block out road visibility so to say i shulda seen the road is wrong..i was on it quickly and no way to stop

polarisrider1

its possible i know what intersection u r talking about or one like it outside seney..i came upon an intersection out of the freakin blue and the stop sign was blocked by trees till i was on it..by the time i stopped i was across the road and a bunch of sleds were off to my right..i waved my follower to stop, but needless to say there was no stop ahead, and the stop sign was absolutely buried..i was thankful i didnt get hit..

bottom line is the stop signs need to be visible for agt least 20plus yards not 5 feet..when ur in the woods the trees block out road visibility so to say i shulda seen the road is wrong..i was on it quickly and no way to stop

Trail- A path or beaten track, as through woods or wilderness. No mention of super highway in the definition.

May I suggest you contact the club for that area and let them know about this safety issue. I... would dig into my pack of "Garden tools" and saw down some of the obstruction and make sure sign is not coverd by snow and brush as to save the club time and money.

Just think you may save a life by actually helping out instead of whining about what you feel entitiled too. Snowmobilers need to work as a group to prosper and save what they have.

Last edited:

Nope, no way the intersection you're mentioning is the same one I was talking about. The one I mentioned is clear for some distance. I'm not sure where you're referring. I've ridden the whole area this year with the heavy snow cover in the trees and haven't experienced what you did.

POLARISDAN

Trail- A path or beaten track, as through woods or wilderness. No mention of super highway in the definition.

May I suggest you contact the club for that area and let them know about this safety issue. I... would dig into my pack of "Garden tools" and saw down some of the obstruction and make sure sign is not coverd by snow and brush as to save the club time and money.

Just think you may save a life by actually helping out instead of whining about what you feel entitiled too. Snowmobilers need to work as a group to prosper and save what they have.

yea wow..good suggestion..of course i wouldnt have had a saw, but i culd have broke some branches etc..never even thought about it..but in the future WILL DO!!!!!

POLARISDAN

Nope, no way the intersection you're mentioning is the same one I was talking about. The one I mentioned is clear for some distance. I'm not sure where you're referring. I've ridden the whole area this year with the heavy snow cover in the trees and haven't experienced what you did.

not sure exactly where i was, we stayed in grand mariah and rode seney and 43 and 443, so thought it might have been u guys, i certainly felt stupid and exposed when i blew that sign, with all the sleds looking at me

not sure exactly where i was, we stayed in grand mariah and rode seney and 43 and 443, so thought it might have been u guys, i certainly felt stupid and exposed when i blew that sign, with all the sleds looking at me

Only was the wife and I, and several must have only seen me cause they waived with one finger when I pointed at the sign and shouted you just missed a stop sign!

Midnight Rider

I unintentionally ran a stop sign directly in front of a MI DNR. Riding south on trail 117 (i think) from Sidnaw to Iron River. I got to the intersection with trail 2 and a guy was sitting on a parked sled on the right hand side of the trail facing me. He was completely blocking the stop sign. I was slowed way down due to there being two other guys standing there talking. It was only when the one closest to me was waving his arms at me for not stopping at the sign that I saw the Warden patch on all of their sleeves. He checked for registration sticker and MI trail permit and then waved me on, I thought I was in for a big one.

I have been on the other end of it though, I have had some long tracks blow through an intersection where the trail turns onto a forest road. No stop sign or intersection marker, the trail transitions from private trail to forest road. I looked left to check for sleds coming at me as I got to the corner and then I focused back onto the corner itself and saw a flash of color to my right. Hand full of brakes as 3 long tracks went screaming by me from the forest road, there wasnt even a flash of break light as they passed me.

Lessons here, no matter how it is labeled, be prepared for crazy stuff to happen at any intersection anywhere.