Boating in the Houghton area

nomus5

Tried this on the boating forum and got no replies, so I'm trying it here:
Looking for any information about boating in the Houghton area. Been sledding in the UP for 25 years, and have boated on the Cisco chain and Gogebic over the last few summers, but have decided to try one of our favorite winter areas this summer. Staying at the Super 8 on the canal with a 20 ft boat during the week of the 4th. Looking for any information on where to go, things to be aware of and places to stop. Any and all information is appreciated. THANKS

weather looks good for the week. on the 3rd you can take your boat to lake linden for the fireworks, they do them at the park and can be seen great on the water, you can also go to the beach at the south entry called White city very nice beach where everybody hangs out on nice days. You will also have to go to the North entry more Rocky but on days when wind is down is fun place to spend an afternoon. Try dinner at Dreamland they have a dock and you can walk to the bar. we will be boating in a regal 2700 if you see us say HI!! Good luck, have a safe trip

Bootjacker

other good Keweenaw spots trailer up to Lac La Belle. there is a nice DNR ramp and fun lake. take the channel out to the big lake and there Bete Grise Bay and a nice beach. Go up the coast to Montreal falls. the coast in rocky but you can anchor and wade in . The fall are one of the hidden gems of the Keweenaw. go on friday and Lac La Belle Lodge has one of the BEST fish fry's in the Keweenaw!!! enjoy

nomus5

Bootjacker,

THANKS for the reply. So the water is passable from Portage lake to all the way through Torch Lake, and hazards are marked?? Can you go all the way east to the Keweenaw bay and west to Lake Superior? We always try to stop at a nearby marina and ask lots of questions and get maps, but just trying to see what I can find out ahead of time. Definitely know what you are talking about with Bear Belly pub, stayed at the lodge one year snowmobiling. THANKS again

jd

Administrator
Staff member
The channel between Portage and Torch Lakes is marked with buoys. Basically stay in the middle and you are fine. It is about 40 feet deep in the middle. There is a very sudden end to the channel though, so you can go from 40 feet deep to around 3-4 feet deep in the space of 10-20 feet.

I would also add lakes like Gratiot and Medora to the list of inland lakes to explore if you want. Some good fishing on both. Not too much trouble to get into on Gratiot, except on the east side, there are some shallows around 50-100 yards off shore. Lake is clean, so if going slow you can see the depth. Medora does have some surprises on it, so maybe a no-go without depth finder. Very cool lake tough and both have good boat launches/free parking at them.

One last one that I have always wanted to do is put in at Eagle Harbor and explore up the coast towards Copper Harbor, especially Grand Marais Harbor.

Man, I wish I had a boat again and a free summer! Maybe next year!

-John

nomus5
you can run from lake Superior to Keweenaw bay its about 38 miles or so all marked and patrolled by coast guard and DNR so make sure you have all safety equipment and papers inline because you will be stopped. like john said the channel to torch is marked very well but stay in the channel there are hazards outside of the channel, one of them cost me $1300 in new props. i will attach a link for charts
http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletChart/14972_BookletChart.pdf

here is a shot from my cabin cam as of today its 78 and with light winds . looks perfect ,
http://wc.accusonics.com/lakeviewinside_000.jpg

nomus5

THANKS tons for the info guys. We cannot wait to get up there to enjoy the UP beauty, hospitality and explore some more of their (your) waterways, and a couple KBC quenchers. Love the map, it's printed and pieced together, and you saved us a couple of meals worth over buying one at the marina, it's perfect. I always believe having a map is invaluable, but sometimes at $20 I wonder??

THANKS again

skiroule

nomus5,
You may already be on your way or even in Houghton by now but like any good J.D. member you’ll be checking in while on vacation.

We just got back from spending five days in the Lac La Belle area and I would second the suggestions regarding a trailer run up to Lac La Belle and spending a day up there. You have probably seen it many times in the winter but maybe never in the summer. It’s remarkably scenic. The ramp and dock setup is as good as you’ll find anywhere and will handle your boat nicely.

As Bootjacker mentioned, there is very quick access to the big lake though the channel and you can cruise the bay up towards Manitou Island and take in the views of the coast from the lake (weather permitting). Fog can figure into the equation once you are outside the channel, even when the weather is clear going out.

Here’s a couple of shots to give you some idea of the harbor and the lake in the summer.

Have a great vacation!

LLB_Fishing_zps3a9ccc46.jpg

LLB_Harbor_zps40c04f40.jpg

nomus5

Sorry Skiroule, I was online, but somehow missed your reply until I got home, we got to Lac La Belle but without the boat. THANKS again everyone that replied. We had a great week in the UP, we boated every other day and bummed around in between. We drove up Saturday, boated from the lift bridge east to Portage, Torch (ate at Loading Zone) and Keweenaw Bay on Sunday, drove up around the edge of the peninsula, including a trip down Bootjack Rd where I assume Bootjacker lives, stopping to eat at Bear Bellies on Monday, boated from lift bridge to Lake Superior on Tuesday which included a stop by the CG as promised by Bootjacker. Tuesday night we went down to Baraga and made a donation. Wednesday we re-located to Root Cellar on Gogebic, boated Gogebic on Thursday, Friday we drove around in the Porkies and Saturday we boated the Cisco Chain. All in all a GREAT week.

scott_b

Glad to hear you had a good trip. Gogebic was a bit on the rough side Thursday afternoon but what you saw is about the busiest it gets...